Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo replaced with a box and question mark

I see photos in the I photo library, but when I click on them to see the single picture in a larger view instead of seeing the particular picture, I get a square box with a question mark in it. It doesn't happen with all my pictures, just 80 percent, which is very frustrating since these are the most recent pictures from a vacation. This just started with the recent upgrade to I photo 6. I have ibookG4 running OSX 10.4.8

Ibook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Oct 18, 2006 7:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2006 8:10 AM

mszig

The Question Mark means that iPhoto has lost the connection between the thumbnail and the file it represents.

1. Have you changed or altered anything in the iPhoto Library Folder? This is the most common cause of the problem

2. Assuming that you haven't changed anything in the iPhoto Library Folder then try rebuilding the database: hold dwon the apple and option keys and launch iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild the database. Choose all the options.

Regards

TD
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2006 8:10 AM in response to mszig

mszig

The Question Mark means that iPhoto has lost the connection between the thumbnail and the file it represents.

1. Have you changed or altered anything in the iPhoto Library Folder? This is the most common cause of the problem

2. Assuming that you haven't changed anything in the iPhoto Library Folder then try rebuilding the database: hold dwon the apple and option keys and launch iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild the database. Choose all the options.

Regards

TD

Jan 1, 2007 9:37 PM in response to mszig

did you ever figure this out? i had the EXACT same problem when upgrading to iPhoto 06...although i think i lost fewer photos than you did. i have confirmed that the photos are gone and only the thumbnails still exist. luckily i backed up my whole library before i upgraded...so i didn't really lose anything. but i can't use iPhoto 06 until it stops deleting photos from my 05 library. please post as to whether or not you found a solution.

thanks!

Jan 2, 2007 7:09 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terrance,

You responded to an inquiry from someone about iPhoto and not being able to edit...
I have the same problem, and I understood from your message that this was perhaps a result of my reorganising my photos outside of iPhoto... however, it drives me crazy that I can't simply add more photos to an existing roll in the library... it always creates a new folder. How do I stop iPhoto from doing this? Also, is there any way that I can retrain the programme to find the photos that I have moved?

I would appreciate any help. I am new to Macs.
Cheers!

Jan 2, 2007 7:51 AM in response to SwissCanadian

SwissCanadian

Welcome to the Mac and the Apple DIscussions.

In general, it's a good idea to create a new thread for a new query.

To your specific questions:

1. however, it drives me crazy that I can't simply add more photos to an existing roll in the library... it always creates a new folder. How do I stop iPhoto from doing this?

You can't. But you can move photos from Roll to Roll in the iPhoto Window, and this will be reflected in the Finder. Just a you can rename Rolls etc., all via the iPhoto Window.

2. Is there any way that I can retrain the programme to find the photos that I have moved?

No, sorry, the best you can do, if you cannot return things to the way they were, is to create a new library and start over. To rebuild the library: move the iPhoto Library Folder to the desktop

Launch iPhoto. It will ask if you wish to create a new Library. Say Yes.

Go into the iPhoto Library Folder on your desktop and find there the Originals folder. From there drag the individual rolls to the iPhoto Window and it will recreate them in the new library.

When you're sure all is well you can delete the iPhoto Library Folder on your desktop.

In the future, in addition to your usual back up routine, you might like to make a copy of the library6.iPhoto file whenever you have made changes to the library as protection against database corruption.

A general comment: iPhoto is a photo organiser, with built-in image viewer, version control and lightweight editing. The key concept is that it's a photo organiser, a database. Like any database it needs you to manipulate the data via the iPhoto Window and not any other way.

When you rename things in the iPhoto Library Folder, or when you focus on the iPhoto Library Folder you're missing the point. You do your work in the iPhoto Window, and apart from backing up, forget about the iPhoto Library Folder. As Phillyphan points out, messing with the iPhoto Library Folder is like opening the bonnet on your car and re-arranging the wiring there. With the same results! Or as I sometimes put it, iPhoto is a photo organiser, why do you then re-organise what the organiser has done?

Most people who reorganise the iPhoto Library Folder do so because they are afraid that they will be unable to find the photos should they need them. Well, there are three ways (at least) to get files from the iPhoto Window.

1. Drag and Drop: Drag a photo from the iPhoto Window to the desktop, there iPhoto will make a full-sized copy of the pic.

2. File -> Export: Select the files in the iPhoto Window and go File -> Export. The dialogue will give you various options, including altering the format, naming the files and changing the size.

3. Show File: Right- (or Control-) Click on a pic and in the resulting dialogue choose 'Show File'. A Finder window will pop open with the file already selected.

By all means post back if you need any further clarifications or help.

Regards

TD

Jan 2, 2007 9:49 PM in response to Yer_Man

Hi - I think you can help me -- I lost my photos, but am still in the early stages (meaning, I have not shut down or otherwise made things permanent. I didn't upgrade (still using iPhoto4), and am unable to view any of my photos. Should I still use your steps to create a new library if I'm NOT using iP6? I dragged my photos out of the trash, but could only put them in a folder on the desktop (iPhoto wouldn't take them back).

Photo replaced with a box and question mark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.