Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forgetting to eject G4 powerbook while in target disk mode

Hello,

I think I have made quite the blunder when trying to transfer files from my old G4 PPC powerbook running on 10.4.11. I was transferring to my new iMac on 10.10.1, and everything was running smoothly, until I had finished transferring some of my files, and wanted to shut everything down, I didn't properly eject! Additionally, what I really wanted to transfer was a whole repository of PPC files on a FireWire 800 LaCie rugged drive. Through target disk mode, I could see the LaCie when connected to the powerbook. I transferred files onto my iMac absolutely fine. After forgetting to eject that too, when trying to restart the powerbook and LaCie I am getting audible noises!!!

Before the chime of the powerbook, a loud telephone-like beep is made before the chime, then the Apple logo comes up and the rotating wheel shows that something is supposedly happening. Nothing really happens until I just see a blank blue screen. Additionally, when I connect the rugged LaCie drive to any computer, it lets out worrying low-pitch screeches when it starts up....

Anybody have any idea what is going on? I can't get the powerbook to go into selecting a startup disk mode either, I was trying to recover the system with a Mac OS X 10.4 system DVD I have. Without the powerbook I will have a difficult time looking into the LaCie rugged drive. Is there any way I can salvage the situation?

Thank you very much for any help!

Posted on Apr 4, 2015 7:06 AM

2 replies

Forgetting to eject G4 powerbook while in target disk mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.