Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have forgotten my encrypt password for back up - what can I do?

I have forgotten my encrypt password for back up - what can I do? I want to transfer my data to new phone

iPhone 4S

Posted on Apr 4, 2015 8:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2015 8:47 AM

Sorry, but the password for the encrypted backup can't be recovered or reset. You'll have to set the phone back to factory settings and start all over again by filling in the settings and data manually.

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

Make sure that the password you use is one that you'll remember. If you encrypt an iPhone backup in iTunes and forget your password, you won't be able to restore from backup, and your data will be unrecoverable.

If you can't remember the password and want to start again, you must perform a full software restore and choose set up as a new device when iTunes prompts you to select the backup from which to restore.

copied from: Create and delete iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch backups in iTunes

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2015 8:47 AM in response to Nici12

Sorry, but the password for the encrypted backup can't be recovered or reset. You'll have to set the phone back to factory settings and start all over again by filling in the settings and data manually.

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

Make sure that the password you use is one that you'll remember. If you encrypt an iPhone backup in iTunes and forget your password, you won't be able to restore from backup, and your data will be unrecoverable.

If you can't remember the password and want to start again, you must perform a full software restore and choose set up as a new device when iTunes prompts you to select the backup from which to restore.

copied from: Create and delete iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch backups in iTunes

I have forgotten my encrypt password for back up - what can I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.