Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Fire Vault HIPAA compliant?

I'm a therapist, and I am searching for HIPAA-compliant storage and software to use in my practice. Does FireVault fit the criteria?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Apr 4, 2015 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2015 11:07 AM

File vault is more than sufficient, actually. So long as physical access is controlled. The data doesn't actually have to be encrypted locally to meet HIPAA standards. HIPAA only requires encryption for data in transit via a public network.

The HIPAA regulations are incredibly vague and at the same time, very complex. As an IT manager in health-care, I've learned more about HIPAA than I ever wanted to know.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2015 11:07 AM in response to Brian Cook4

File vault is more than sufficient, actually. So long as physical access is controlled. The data doesn't actually have to be encrypted locally to meet HIPAA standards. HIPAA only requires encryption for data in transit via a public network.

The HIPAA regulations are incredibly vague and at the same time, very complex. As an IT manager in health-care, I've learned more about HIPAA than I ever wanted to know.

Apr 4, 2015 11:09 AM in response to MonicaT

This Apple document describes what File Vault encrypts: OS X: About FileVault 2 - Apple Support.

However, it only works on the boot drive. So if your patient data is on EHDS then you would need to look for a 3rd party disk encryption scheme.

This is from that document:

FileVault 2 uses full disk, XTS-AES 128 encryption to help keep your data secure. Using FileVault 2, you can encrypt the contents of your entire drive.

User uploaded file

Is Fire Vault HIPAA compliant?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.