Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac randomly crashes, screen turns green and white, and it works fine upon restart. What causes this and how can I fix it?

My MacBook Pro 13 inch (I've had it for about a year and a half) has started crashing randomly. It happens about once a week and it will happen when I'm in the middle of either watching a video, typing a paper, playing a game, etc. The computer clicks loudly and the screen becomes a series of green and white lines. It works fine upon restart, but it's still annoying whenever it happens. What causes this? Is it fixable?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 8.2

Posted on Apr 4, 2015 1:16 PM

4 replies

Apr 11, 2015 8:46 PM in response to abmillea

The image suggests an issue with the graphics board.

The issue may happen more when your machine is generating additional heat, as when you're watching or processing video, or gaming. I can't say for certain, of course, but certain things will reduce the chance of the problem recurring:

1. Keep your machine as cool as possible. When there's additional heat, turn up the fan, or use an app like HD Fan Control to reduce the heat. Use your computer the way you see fit, but be conscious of heat.

2. Back up on a regular basis. Logic board problems can lead to more serious issues down the line, so backing up is a good way of safeguarding your data.

3. Look up "Logic Board Woes" on Google for a comprehensive discussion of the issue.

Mac randomly crashes, screen turns green and white, and it works fine upon restart. What causes this and how can I fix it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.