Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I suddenly can't delete podcast episodes from itunes library

Yesterday I loaded new podcast episodes onto my iPod. I like my podcasts in list view. I tried to delete some watched episodes from my list to clean it up and they deleted, then returned to the list with the cloud next to them. I could not delete them undownloaded. I cannot delete them after downloading them. Not only that, but for some of the podcasts there are suddenly undownloaded episodes showing up from several months or years ago. Can anyone help? I can't seem to reach anyone from Apple.

Posted on Apr 4, 2015 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2015 8:41 PM

Just had a similar experience. Found podcasts I had deleted years ago showing up in iTunes on my PC. I found if you go to "My Podcasts" you will see a list on the upper left of Recent Updates, Unplayed Episodes, and Saved Episodes. Click on Saved Episodes. This is where I found all the very old a previously deleted podcasts.

You can leftclick and select "Remove from Saved". You can remove large blocks of files by using the right click on the first file then shift and right click at the end, then left click and remove all at once.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2015 8:41 PM in response to lorifromjeffersonville

Just had a similar experience. Found podcasts I had deleted years ago showing up in iTunes on my PC. I found if you go to "My Podcasts" you will see a list on the upper left of Recent Updates, Unplayed Episodes, and Saved Episodes. Click on Saved Episodes. This is where I found all the very old a previously deleted podcasts.

You can leftclick and select "Remove from Saved". You can remove large blocks of files by using the right click on the first file then shift and right click at the end, then left click and remove all at once.

Apr 5, 2015 2:53 PM in response to CapePete

Thank you for taking the time to try to help. I checked what you suggested but there are only 6 episodes under my Saved Episodes tab, and those are six that I really did save. Everything that is old or that I want to delete just because I have listened to them and like to keep my list view uncluttered has the cloud symbol next to it. They won't delete that way, and even if I download them out of the cloud and delete them, they just show right back up again with the cloud. I don't really want cloud storage enabled on my iTunes library and don't remember enabling it. Perhaps everyone has cloud storage now, whether they want it or not? I have no idea how to disable it or if it can be disabled. It really bugs me that I can't have my library look the way I want it and that it is virtually impossible to get anyone at Apple to talk to to get a straight answer. Very frustrating.

Apr 6, 2015 11:50 AM in response to lorifromjeffersonville

As far as podcasts are concerned any episode that you see with a cloud symbol is something that currently exists on the podcast providers feed. It isn't stored in your iTunes cloud. That said, depending on the view, I think you should still be able to delete episodes that you no longer want to show in the feed. If you have the selection in the lower right hand corner showing Feed then you cannot delete episodes as you're looking at the list on the host server.

tt2

Apr 28, 2015 2:13 PM in response to lorifromjeffersonville

Thank you turingtest2 for the explanation. Here's the thing, and Apple does this ALL THE TIME.

(I am mostly an Apple lover, but this stuff drives me crazy.)

They make something of a fundamental change to the UI, and expect that you will just "get it".

You make a casual comment about "That said, depending on the view, I think you should still be able to delete episodes that you no longer want to show in the feed." And you're right. But they change the view to be one that you didn't have before. And No obvious way to change it. If you don't believe me, look at all the threads under "delete podcast episode".

So of course, to change the view, one would click the menu option "View" and look at the options, yes? No! It's down at the bottom under "Show". Very poor UI design. And the intuitive choice (which I believe used to be the default) is now "Unplayed/My Episodes and Saved" (which is some kind of ***?, because even if an episode is played, it shows...)

Reminds me of when they arbitrarily decided to move the podcast refresh button, which looked very much like a browser refresh, and it disappeared from upper left corner, only to reappear as text in the lower left corner. I (like may others) was looking for the icon, not trying to "read" the screen. Took a while to find it. No huge deal, but WHY?

Anyway, through with the rant. My plea to Apple is to STOP arbitrarily changing the UI WITHOUT ANY EXPLANATION, and really, without any benefit, IMO. Thanks!

Jan 7, 2016 4:15 PM in response to lorifromjeffersonville

I agree completely that Apple expects their users to "get it". I don't understand why a company with their IT power and knowledge of human factors does NOT invest in a better Help feature. I moved over last summer from 1000 years on Windows. I struggle mostly when I try to help myself. Apple has commands in some apps in the menu bar. You want to find what it does "good luck with that". "It's for Apple to know and you to find out". One example is the "Choose" command. I still have not found out what it does.

To boot, when you talk to the support desk they don't know either. Thanks for the chance to vent.

I have received a lot of great technical advise on this forum and for that I am thankful. Thanks

I suddenly can't delete podcast episodes from itunes library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.