Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac mini 2014 - boot from usb key/drive

Hi,

I've just unpacked the latest mac mini, bought two days ago.

I am trying to get it to boot of a bootable usb key, bootable usb hard drive and PXE server to install another OS.

All methods failing so far; I always get into OSX. I've tested the PXE server with another client and this was working just fine.

Any hint for me please? (besides buying an external cdrom)

Thanks.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Apr 4, 2015 3:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2015 3:53 PM

Start the Mac then immediately press the option key to start the Mac in the boot selection panel.

If the external drive has been correctly formatted with the correct software installed it will boot.

3 replies

Apr 5, 2015 2:14 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Thanks Gary. Given your confirmation that it should be possible, I've taken the fact that the external drive doesn't appear as a choice in "startup disk" as an indication that my disk is the issue. I did try two alternatives method to get the .iso to disk given your hint,

The first, using UNetbootin rather than my linux distribution and it does come back with a message rather specific after it finishes: "The created USB device will not boot off a Mac. Insert it into a PC, and select the USB boot option in the BIOS boot menu".

The second, using Disk Utility but the restore section for the target volume doesn't seems interested in me dragging the .iso to the 'source' field.

And that's with two different OS's .iso. so assuming that's not the right alternative either.

Few questions from there if I may,

1. Is there anything special I should take care off while doing the formatting to boot from a mac (mini)? (I'd welcome any link to a validated method)
  2. what do you do when you have a non mac keyboard? (I had used "C")
  3. should the PXE method have worked as well on the mac mini?

(Thanks again for that first response Gary)

mac mini 2014 - boot from usb key/drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.