Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magsafe L adapter got soda on it

Okay so what happened was my adapter was chilling in it's usual spot, not plugged in to the computer, since I unplug my computer at night.

I went to work and when I got home the chord was on the floor (probably slipped, no big deal usually) but I found it had gotten wet from some soda that had spilled at some point. I dried it off and such but since then I had noticed that if I had it plugged in, the light would randomly light up as if it was charging (note, it's not plugged into anything)

I unplugged it from the wall, figuring it needed some time to just be unplugged, which seemed to have fixed the problem, but now when I plug it into my computer it registers and everything, but it says it's not charging (and the light isn't lit up)

I managed to kinda wiggle it a little, sorta pressing it in, seemingly, so it then does say it's charging and the light is on, but then again, when I pull it away the light is still on unless I like... press at where the pins are with my thumb, which seems to fix it temporarily.

Admittedly this thing is rather old and there are some breaks in the outer wire (no liquid got in there though, I had it protected) so replacing it wouldn't be a bad thing, but I can in no way afford an overpriced power chord right now...

So... is there a fix to this or am I going to kind of just have to deal with it till it bites the dust? And is it safe to actually use on my computer? Keep in mind if I have to replace it and it's dangerous for my computer if I use it as is, my computer will probably be shelved for months at the least and I really wouldn't like that. I don't mind fussing with it as long as it won't kill my computer.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 4, 2015 6:59 PM

8 replies

Apr 4, 2015 7:10 PM in response to Wolf Spirit

You cannot repair the MagSafe connector so it is not worth the effort of trying unless you simply want to play with it and try, knowing you will have no choice but a new charging system. It takes very little moisture inside, and soda is acidic to make matters worse, so shorting the connector is probably your problem.

You can try taking in to an Apple Store Genius Bar and have it tested but the answer will most likely be that it is shorted and needs to be replaced.

Apr 4, 2015 8:35 PM in response to zaifromzai

It's the magsafe L adapter for Macbook Air 11 inch, late 2010. I think 60W. Even on amazon I've seen nothing cheaper then $70 at best. Ouch. (And like, one $20 one that had reviews full of 'it stopped working within a month')

Thanks for the answers though, guys. I have a windows computer around here somewhere, if I can't hunt down a cheap new cable I may need to switch to that for a while cause pricing is ridiculous for a well out of date computer lol

Apr 21, 2015 3:02 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Understandable. But as I mentioned before, it's not just that I don't want to... I simply CAN NOT spend that kind of money on a power chord. So for someone who can't afford an overpriced $80 power chord my options are limited to hoping the messed up one doesn't kill my computer or die, hoping a cheap knock off doesn't mess up my computer or die prematurely, or just.... not use the computer anymore. 😕

Apr 21, 2015 6:36 PM in response to Wolf Spirit

Well, after some financial shifting around I followed the advice of everyone and got a new charger, and I followed the advice of a few people and got a legit one. (From the Best Buy Apple section, I can tell it is indeed legit and since it's newer and a higher wattage then the other one it seems to be more durable which is good.

I plugged it in and after a few seconds of (not charging) it begins to charge like it's supposed to and how it always used to and has gone from 62% to 70% in the time since I've plugged it in.

So hopefully there was no damage to the computer battery itself when I had first been trying to see before I posted this, but I guess we'll see. It does seem to take a charge and everything (But it's not been great with holding a charge for a while, partially due to it's age, probably. So hopefully nothing lessened that time even more lol)

Thanks for the advice and tips, everyone.

Magsafe L adapter got soda on it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.