Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

backups for photo library cannot be turned off at this time

I just bought a new phone, and the icloud on my old phone is full.

I want to delete off all the data esp from the iCloud photo library to free up space so i can transfer my whatsapp and other app data over via icloud, but icloud is not allowing me to delete any current data from the icloud.

It says, "backups for photo library cannot be turned off at this time".

Even when I tried to delete the entire phone it returns the same error.

Can anyone help?

iPhone 5

Posted on Apr 5, 2015 12:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2015 6:05 AM

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Is there an unfininished backup in progress.

10 replies

Nov 5, 2015 1:31 PM in response to skyav

Same question to me. I don't use iCloud to back up my iPhone, the iCloud Drive has only 8M bytes data, but iCloud Space settings page shows there is 1.2G bytes for "backup". I think it has to be my Photo Library backup in the cloud, so I delete all backup, then tried to turn off the Photo Library backup on iPhone settings. However, this error message shows, clicking "Try Again" has no success.

What time can be used to turn off Photo Library backup? Midnight or some time slot for example from 11:59:00 to 12:00:00?

Nov 5, 2015 5:24 PM in response to hyuan1

I kept trying and finally turned it off. I deleted all backup from iCloud storage, but few hours later, I found that switch is automatically turned on again, and 1.3G bytes had been uploaded to my iCloud storage. Is it a bug in iOS 9.1?

I turned it off and deleted the backup data again, see what happens next...

Mar 20, 2016 4:50 AM in response to tclonglpc

It worked. Just to confirm I tried one more time before following your proceedure. I then tried again to turn off photo library backup within MANAGE BACKUPS and it worked. It now backs up because the library stayed turned off. Apple wanted me to buy extra storage and I refused. I found it difficult to find the "turn of backup" tab as I keep going straight passed it.

backups for photo library cannot be turned off at this time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.