Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CleanMyMac 2 Damaged My Mac!!!!!!!!!Help!!!!!!

Please if anybody knows how to solve this kind of problem!!!!

Today I bought the activate code of CleanMyMac 2 and after I used it (Automatic cleanup, system cleanup, iphoto cleanup, trash cleanup) then my safari, apps and application that are running very very slow. I've checked with my pc, it works fine with internet but at the same time when I tried on my mac after that I used CleanMyMac 2 it is still very very slow to load a website and couldn't barely access to the facebook, youtube and even google it took me around 3-5 mins to load. It is totally F'd up my Macbook and the version of it is 10.9.2. Do I have to reinstall everything? I've tried command+R to repair the disk but it doesn't really solve anything. Does the CleanMyMac 2 vanish some crucial caches or documents that makes the mac run slow? My internet is fine and fast but after used the CleanMyMac 2 I couldn't barely to access on the internet and taking forever to load.

Please help me through, much appreciated.

😢

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 4, 2015 10:45 PM

20 replies

Apr 5, 2015 3:18 AM in response to Justinhe1009

As you are on 10.9.2, you could just run the upgrader to 10.9.5, which may improve things without needing to do a complete reinstall. But two important tips:

1. Don't use any "Cleaning", purging, or other utility app. Your Mac does not typically need any routine maintenance. Many of these apps do more harm than good, as you've found out.

2. Make sure you have an external drive and backup regularly to it using Time Machine.

Apr 5, 2015 5:20 PM in response to Justinhe1009

Before you do anything, do you have backups? If not, you're in a dangerous situation. You have run a horrible app known to cause damage to the system or even data loss in some situations without backups, and you may have permanent data loss as a result. To ensure that you keep as much of your data as possible, you need to back up the computer before doing anything else. This will be difficult, as it sounds like your computer is not in a fully functional state at the moment. If you do not have backups, shut down the computer and do not touch it further, then come back here for advice.

To solve the problem, hold down command-R at startup to enter recovery mode, then reinstall the system. This will simply install clean new versions of all the system files, and should leave everything else alone, assuming all goes well. (Since you used CleanMyMac, it's possible all will not go well, however, thus the need for backups.)

If the system works at this point, be sure to uninstall CleanMyMac. Do not allow it to do anything further to your Mac.

If the system won't run properly after that, you'll need to go back into recovery mode and use Disk Utility to erase the hard drive, then reinstall the system again or restore your entire system from a backup made prior to running CleanMyMac.

Once you have resolved the situation, I trust that you have learned your lesson, not only about CleanMyMac, but about all such "cleaning" apps. None of them are of any use at all, and all of them have the potential to do serious harm.

Apr 5, 2015 6:23 PM in response to Justinhe1009

Please if anybody knows how to solve this kind of problem!!!!

You can solve it but you must follow the instructions below. A backup is an essential prerequisite. Consider creating two or more redundant backups. Reinstalling OS X will have no effect.

There is no practicable way to reverse the effects of having used CleanMyMac2 other than to reinstall all affected files from backups or their original sources. Its developer's uninstallation instructions are ineffective despite their recent claims to the contrary. Only MacPaw, its developer, can know the reason for that, but I can think of two possibilities: either they are purposefully leaving components behind for reasons known only to them, or they simply don't know what they're doing. Neither one of those possibilities is particularly comforting for the user.

Reinstalling OS X alone will have no effect on either removing CleanMyMac or reversing the damage it is capable of inflicting upon a system.

Follow the applicable recovery procedure below:

• If you have a backup that you created prior to using CleanMyMac, now is the time to use it. For Time Machine, boot OS X Recovery, and at the Mac OS X Utilities screen, choose Restore from Time Machine Backup. Choose a date preceding the installation of CleanMyMac.
  • If you do not have a backup that predates the use of CleanMyMac, create one now. To do that read Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac.
    • The recovery procedure will require that you erase the Mac using OS X Recovery, and then create a new user account whose contents will be empty. You will then be able to use Setup Assistant to migrate your essential documents including photos, music, work products and other essential files.
    • When doing so, select only your previous User account and do not select "Applications", "Computer and Network Settings" or "Other files and folders". De-select those choices.
    • Subsequent to using Setup Assistant, you will need to reinstall the essential software you may require, once again remembering to install software only from their original sources, and omitting all non-essential software.
    • "Non-essential software" is a broad category that includes but is not limited to third party "cleaning", "maintenance", and "anti-virus" products.

To erase and install Mavericks read: OS X Mavericks: Erase and reinstall OS X

To migrate your essential documents read: OS X: How to migrate data from another Mac using Mavericks and follow the procedure under Time Machine or other disk migration.

Oct 21, 2015 12:19 PM in response to Phil6500

In response to: "Apple continues to sell this program in the app store!"

I have not found it the last 3 times I have searched for it there. I originally bought it before AppStore was launched from the Apple Support Web site, though, and when it was no longer available from any Apple source, I began to be concerned.

My concerns were well-founded.

I cannot blame Apple for this.

Jun 16, 2016 3:09 AM in response to Justinhe1009

I have been using this app for years and never had an issue with it. I realise that OS X doesn't strictly need something like this but it does on average save me around 12GB everytime I run it so I consider it a great help. If your Mac is/was running slow, I'd say it was the spotlight index that CleanMyMac deleted and as a result the OS was re-building it which slows everything down usually to a crawl until it's rebuilt.

Jun 16, 2016 8:27 AM in response to Peter O'Toole

First, you may not have noticed the 8 month inactivity in this thread; however, if you are running SL, then its' performance with third party apps cannot and should not be compared with much newer OS versions.

And, saving 12 GB with a highly questionable app isn't really that important what with todays' 1 - 4 TB hard drives.

Jun 16, 2016 8:33 AM in response to Peter O'Toole

but it does on average save me around 12GB everytime I run it

There is something seriously wrong if that app is deleting 12 gigs of material every time you run it? 12 gigs is a massive amount of data. Enormous. Respectfully, either that number is wrong or you have a very weird set up.

Also, I will note that on these Clean My Mac threads it's very clear that all the experienced posters recommend against this and similar apps. Then after a while someone new comes along and re-opens them, always claiming the same thing. Quite a coincidence, don't you think?

Jun 16, 2016 8:47 AM in response to Yer_Man

haha if you are suggesting I work for the company and trying to keep their good name afloat, you would be very wrong. I never knew there was such a backlash against CleanMyMac as I always found it so useful. Mind you I never did any research and didn't know what damage it could of caused for other people. I know MacKeeper is complete spam and I wouldn't trust it for the life of me. In regards to CMM saving me 12GB, that would be indeed correct but I tend to only run it every 6 months or so. Lastly I never strangely looked at the date on this post for some reason, which might of been a wise move!!

CleanMyMac 2 Damaged My Mac!!!!!!!!!Help!!!!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.