Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight, Finder and filsystem control...

Ever since I started using Mac, I have had one frustration. Whenever I put in an external disk, no matter what kind, the system writes a bunch of crap on them. This viral function seems to be impossible to turn off.

drwxrwxrwx 1 johnmartin staff 32768 Apr 5 11:19 .Spotlight-V100

drwxrwxrwx@ 1 johnmartin staff 32768 Apr 5 11:19 .Trashes

-rwxrwxrwx 1 johnmartin staff 4096 Apr 5 11:19 ._.Trashes

drwxrwxrwx 1 johnmartin staff 32768 Apr 5 11:19 .fseventsd

I have tried all tricks I found on the net, not a single one of them is consistent.

This is a rude practice and Apple should understand that some of us actually do not want the computer to write a lot of crap on our disks without asking for permission. At the moment, I am facing a problem with my GPS-device, which happen to run WinCE. Because of all this crap, I simply can not create the system upgrade for my GPS without running into severe problems.

Right now my device refuse to boot after a failed firmware upgrade and this was caused by this crappy practice. How can I turn this viral function completely off for all external disks without any exceptions?

If there is no answer to this question, I have get another computer to solve my needs. It should really not be necessary to say that this is actually worse than Microsoft Windows. I never faced a problem with Microsoft Windows regarding such matters. This is viral by nature and should be turned off by default.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013), iOS 8.2, Finder, Spotlight, Filesystems

Posted on Apr 5, 2015 2:29 AM

3 replies

Apr 5, 2015 1:20 PM in response to Musicus Martin

As Mark said, you can't turn it off.

You can minimize effects by:

Adding the USB to the Privacy Tab in System Preferences->Spotlight.

After adding files to the USB:

In Terminal: dot_clean <space> drag the USB to Terminal, then <enter>

Then use rm to erase .Trashes and .fseventsd

If this is not acceptable, your only choice than is to use a different OS

(I thought to "go viral" was a good thing 🙂)

Spotlight, Finder and filsystem control...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.