Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permanently delete recently deleted photos from iPhone

How do I fully delete recently deleted photos from my iPhone?

"recently deleted" is an option in Albums in Photos on iPhone 5 with iOS 8.2

It says that it may take up to 40 days to delete. I don't want these photos at all.

How do I fully delete photos from my iPhone please?

Posted on Apr 5, 2015 4:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2015 3:33 AM

I don't think there's an option to deactivate the feature.

You can permanently erase pictures by deleting them from your "recently deleted" folder.

Problem is that iOS 8 doesn't delete your photos at all, not even after 30-40 days.

At least for me it doesn't. After installing iexplorer and looking at the files stored on my phone I found pretty much every deleted picture still there, even though it was no longer showing up on my iphone ;-)

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2015 3:33 AM in response to Michael Vallance

I don't think there's an option to deactivate the feature.

You can permanently erase pictures by deleting them from your "recently deleted" folder.

Problem is that iOS 8 doesn't delete your photos at all, not even after 30-40 days.

At least for me it doesn't. After installing iexplorer and looking at the files stored on my phone I found pretty much every deleted picture still there, even though it was no longer showing up on my iphone ;-)

Apr 6, 2015 4:33 AM in response to Michael Vallance

I doubt there's a purpose, it's more of a bug.

The "recently deleted" feature is probably just broken.

Even if you set back the date on your iphone an re-delete your "recently deleted", the problem will reappear at some point in the future if you don't regularly clean said folder.

I really hope the next iOS Update includes a fix -_- and an option to deactivate "recently deleted".

Here's a blog post about the issue: https://blog.tmoehle.de/ios-photo-problem/

Mar 18, 2016 7:48 PM in response to Michael Vallance

No, this will not remove the data from iCloud. This is so you can sync up the new device to the data in iCloud. That way you don't have to re-enter it all again.

If you want to remove all the data from iCloud you should first erase all the datafrom the Contacts, Calendar, Photos, Reminders and Notes apps as well as delete any back ups and any Document and Data that used iCloud.

You can also log in to your account at iCloud.com and erase it from there.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.