Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac (or iPad, or iPhone or Macbook) won't communicate/find my printer.

The problem started when I changed my router.

The printer (Epson XP-405) says that WiFi connection is working and printer physically works as test page is printing.

I'm not very tech savvy, so detailed answers appreciated.

I have the IP address of the printer, the subnet mask and default gateway addresses (whatever these may mean - these are from the auto set up on the printer). I have removed the printer software and printer from the printer list and re-installed to no avail. I do not have a usb connector (this may be my next option). I have tried setting the printer up in System Preferences using the IP address and all 3 protocols to no avail. When I try to add the error message says 'Unable to connect to 'IP Address' due to an error. Would you still like to create the printer?'

I have ignored the error and created, but it doesn't work.

I have tried using ping command in terminal. These are the results .... I think it's telling me it's not reaching the printer - not sure why IP in brackets is slightly different number:

PING XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX (XXX.XXX.X.Y): 56 data bytesRequest timeout for icmp_seq 0

Request timeout for icmp_seq 1

Request timeout for icmp_seq 2

Request timeout for icmp_seq 3

ping: sendto: No route to host

Request timeout for icmp_seq 4

ping: sendto: Host is down

Any help and advice would be much appreciated. I'm willing to give things a go but, as I say not very tech savvy

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 5, 2015 4:59 AM

1 reply

Apr 5, 2015 7:36 AM in response to Deb7000000

Changing the router changes everything about a network. The easiest solution will be to delete your existing printer from System Preferences > Print & Scan, and add it again. Better yet is to "reset the printing system" as described here: Mac OS X: How to reset the printing system

After you do that you will need to add the printer again according to the instructions here:

OS X Mountain Lion: Set up a printer

or, if applicable:

OS X Mountain Lion: Set up an IP printer

You will need to do that with each of your Macs.

Powering down your iOS devices and powering them up again should be sufficient for them to recognize the AirPrint printer, after cycling your router's power also. For AirPrint troubleshooting read "If you're unable to print" in this Apple Support document: About AirPrint - Apple Support

My iMac (or iPad, or iPhone or Macbook) won't communicate/find my printer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.