Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Startup Problem

Hi! Good day! I need help regarding my friends MacBook w/ problem "Blinking question mark in a folder w/ white background". I/She doesn't know the cause of the problem because that MacBook was given by her brother outside PH.

When I turn on the MacBook, in 10 sec the chime plays and +40 sec the blinking question mark in a folder appears.

Please help me. I do need your expertise here. I just newly encounter this cuz im into windows.

Best regards

-JC Fr. Ph

MacBook, Other OS, I don't know the previous OS

Posted on Apr 5, 2015 6:13 AM

9 replies

Apr 5, 2015 7:51 AM in response to Niel

I already read the whole page and it doesn't solve my problem. this states as "A few seconds". mine is infinite blinking.

BTW. I just put an osx 10.10.2 in a usb drive, insert in macbook, press power and press option. the blinking question mark is gone. instead a movable cursor appears in a white background and nothing happens for an hour.

Thank you so much for replying, i really badly need help here. hoping to solve this issue.

PS. sorry for my bad English.

-JC From Ph

#NEWBIE

Apr 5, 2015 3:56 PM in response to JuliusAlfeche

If the operating system that was in it was above 10.6 snow leopard ,you can boot holding down the Command/R or Option R keys to go to recovery. If it was running snow leopard or earlier you need the install disk. You cannot boot to yosemite if the operating system is not at least snow leopard. Even off a usb stick. You can check the drive if you have a bootable install disk. Or you can try single user to check the drive.http://www.westwind.com/reference/os-x/commandline/single-user.html You may have a bad drive.

Apr 6, 2015 12:01 AM in response to my ginger

pressed command r / option r after power on. still the blinking question mark in a folder appears. visiting the link youve given. i hold down option s. stil blinking question mark appears. havent tried inserting install disc. cuz i dont have any. im going out now to buy dvd and put the OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 softcopy i downloaded.

ps. how to put the osx in a dvd? the bootable one. using windows 8.1 pc. i use transmac to put the OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 in a usb drive. is it posible to use it in dvd? is it bootable?

Thanks! and hoping for your kind reply.

Apr 6, 2015 12:20 AM in response to JuliusAlfeche

The computer probably has some kind of hardware problem, so a bootable second system

may only be good (if you can make one) for troubleshooting & test purposes. If you had an

externally enclosed hard disk drive with its own power supply capable of booting OS X from

a clone, then you'd be more than halfway to testing the actual computer hardware issues...

A bad cable, or some other component (including hard disk drive) may have failed. If so, the

symptoms indicate further diagnostic troubleshooting, testing, & component replacements.

See if this method to make a bootable install device for newest OS X versions, may work:

http://diskmakerx.com/ could be helpful, or if nothing else, a learning experience.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Apr 6, 2015 7:17 AM in response to JuliusAlfeche

It would appear that you have no operating system installed or at lest not a usable one. Or the hard drive or hard drive cable is bad. You do not say what year macbook you have.Some early macbooks will not run yosemite. In order to test the drive you need a bootable O.S. so you can use the disk utilities to check the drive. If you do not know the year, you can look on the bottom or under the battery for the serial number. Then it can be looked up on line. I tried transmac to make a bootable yosemite usb stick and it did not work. Had to do it using terminal. If what you have is a macbook 2010 or older,you will need the snow leopard install disk from apple to boot to.http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard?afid=p238%7 CsBaB8fHLm-dc_mtid_1870765e38482_pcrid_71178685807_&cid=aos-us-kwg-btb https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201475

Apr 7, 2015 9:24 PM in response to JuliusAlfeche

I will add to my other post that if there was anything to boot to. And it had a newer operating system installed. Newer then 10.6 . You could get to a recovery partition by the option key or Command R. Since you cannot. Using a yosemite boot dvd or usb stick will not work. To boot to a yosemite usb or dvd you have to have 10.6 snow leopard or later installed or at least a newer than snow leopard recovery partition.

Startup Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.