Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to change computer name

We have a two computers, one PPC and one Intel that we have been developing as masters for imaging. Both are at 10.4.8. When we deployed the image for testing, we discovered that we are not able to change the computer name on the imaged machine. We then found out that we are also unable to change the computer name on the masters. Whenever we change the name and reboot, it reverts back to its old name.

I have tried all of these:

1) Changing the name in the Sharing System Preference

2) >hostname -s newname
lookupd -flushcache

3) removing:
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration
/Library/Preferences/com.apple.sharing.firewall.plist

4) Renaming the computer using ARD.

5) Unplugging the machine from the network.

After a restart, the login window will show the new name, but then after a sucessful login, the computer reverts back to its old name.

These are unmanaged machines, not bound to any Directory Service and use a local netinfo login.

Any ideas? I would like to know where the old host name is being saved.

Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Oct 18, 2006 1:49 PM

4 replies

Dec 4, 2006 4:47 PM in response to Gnarlodious

This all goes well up to the preferences.plist file opens in Omni Outliner & I don't know how to save it. I also am not sure from your terminal language where to place the old & new names.
I just want my computer name to change. seems a small thing!
Thanks.
J

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.p
list >System > System > ComputerName

Or you can paste this command into Terminal:

grep -A1 'ComputerName<'
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.p
list | grep -v key | sed
s/"[[:blank:]]</string>"//g</span>
Check the ownership on the file, it should be
-rw-r--r-- root admin

Dec 4, 2006 6:25 PM in response to CloGram

I just want my computer name to change. seems a small
thing!

It is a small thing, but yours appears to be broken. One possible problem could be that the preference file that holds the name is locked or has the permissions set incorrectly. Hence the request to check the permissions on the file. If the permissions are not correct, then the system cannot write the file, thus changing the name permanently.

Try running Disk utility and repair permissions, and then try to change name.

The terminal command does not change the name, it just shows you what it is.

Another option would be to delete the preferences.plist file and let the system re-create it. However, you will lose all of your Network Locations and network interface setups--the Network System Preference info. You'll have to recreate it all.

Unable to change computer name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.