Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac pro mid 2010 - screen suddenly turns black

hi everybody,

since today my Mac pro (snow leopard) does the following:

Sometimes the screen suddenly turns black. Only the Cursor can be seen (sometimes not even that).

When I reboot the system everything seems fine, but after a few minutes the same problem occurs.

Unfortunately I'm not able to copy the specifications of my system because the black screen is faster than I am after a reboot.

I would be glad if anybody knew what I can do about it.

Thanks guys! Chris

Mac Pro (Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 5, 2015 9:23 AM

16 replies

Apr 5, 2015 9:38 AM in response to Scarnival

Try resetting the SMC and NVRAM

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

About NVRAM and PRAM

Try booting in Safe Mode

OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

Try booting from install DVD and see screen works OK.

If you can try repairing the startup disk via Disk Utility.

Run Apple Hardware Test

Using Apple Hardware Test

This is the Mac Pro desktop forum. You do have a 40 lb silver Mac Pro tower?

Apr 5, 2015 10:59 AM in response to Scarnival

Starting up in Safe Mode

Follow these steps to start up into Safe Mode.

1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.
  2. Press the power button.
  3. Immediately after you hear the startup sound, press and hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be pressed as soon as possible after startup, but not before the startup sound.
  4. Release the Shift key when you see the Apple logo appear on the screen.

After the Apple logo appears, it may take longer than usual to reach the login screen. This is because your computer is performing a directory check as part of Safe Mode.

To leave Safe Mode, restart your computer without pressing any keys during startup.

Apr 6, 2015 2:17 AM in response to Scarnival

Okay, now it's getting really weird... With my notebook I can access my crashed Mac pro via Ethernet without any problems...

This sounds like it's the graphic controller (ati Radeon HD 5770) that produces the problem, but when I'm playing a video on the Mac pro and it crashes I should at least hear something when it's only the graphic that produces the problem, shouldn't I? But nothing happens when the screen turns back and I hit something on the keyboard.

Apr 6, 2015 2:38 PM in response to Scarnival

Safe Mode does the equivalent of a Disk Utility (Repair Disk) while it puts up that progress bar. It never get more than about 1/3 of the way across, even when everything is great. But if your drive is un-mountable after the repair cycle, your Mac cannot start up, and it will shut down.

NOT shutting down is a good sign.

Safe Mode should continue and load a minimal set of Apple-only Drivers. It does NOT load the graphics card Driver, which is why it can be useful to learn more about your graphics card.

--------

If you are using your Boot SSD for everything, and are not using TRIM, your SSD may be clogging up with deleted data. There are several ways to eliminate or reduce the deleted data.

One way is to run any system, 10.6.8 or later, with TRIM Enabler installed, and run one pass of Disk Utility (Repair Disk) with TRIM active. This presents one additional line of output:

"Trimming unused blocks"

and pauses for up to a minute while the unused blocks are TRIMmed.

TRIM Enabler has become much more difficult to install on 10.9.5 and later, because it conflicts with the new Kernel-extension signing feature.

Edit> If you are really running 10.6.8, you can install TRIM Enabler in your active System. It is free, but be sure to get the correct version for your system. There is an advanced-features version also available for a modest charge.

Apr 11, 2015 12:19 AM in response to Scarnival

I just leave this here in case someone encounters a similar problem:

The problem was in deed the SSD or the OS. I installed a Time Machine Backup on a clean HDD and everything worked fine again.

I bought a new SSD and cloned the said backup onto it.

I haven't had time yet to check if it was hardware problem (the SSD) or a software problem (OS damaged). But I guess it was the OS because if I use the old SSD as a slave drive I can access all files and encountered no problems so far.

Again, thanks for your help, guys!

@Grant: I installed TRIM ENABLER on the new SSD. There's not much information about it. Just "on" and "off" and the programm says it works in the background - so I hope it really does…

Mac pro mid 2010 - screen suddenly turns black

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.