Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Im trying to facetime using only wifi, no 3g at all, and it isnt connecting, it keeps saying "waiting for activation". How do i fix this?

Im trying to facetime a friend with a iphone 5, i have a iphone4s. Im only using wifi, no 3g or anything. Everytime i try to connect and turn on facetime, it either fails or says waiting for activation. How do i fix this so i can facetime?

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.2, No data, working off wifi

Posted on Apr 5, 2015 10:49 AM

8 replies

Apr 5, 2015 12:20 PM in response to Csound1

Yes, I know. But at one point in activating FaceTime or iMessage you will need to be able to send a text message. If you can't, there will be no activation.

Check your device settings

Make sure that you’re connected to a cellular data or Wi-Fi network. If you're using an iPhone, you'll need SMS messaging to activate your phone number with iMessage and FaceTime. Depending on your carrier, you might be charged for this SMS.

copied from If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime - Apple Support

Apr 5, 2015 12:32 PM in response to Csound1

Yes, the whole process is a bit confusing 😉

When I had to set up one of my older devices again, I could not get the activation done until I switched off Wi-Fi and let it lay on the table, connected the the cellular network. After a while iMessage and FaceTime worked. And of course I got charged for sending the activation text message to Apple, Ireland 😁

Im trying to facetime using only wifi, no 3g at all, and it isnt connecting, it keeps saying "waiting for activation". How do i fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.