Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iphone has the spinning ball of death and I dont know what to do

Well, the story begins like this... my phone died while i was in a bar with my friends. I was the designated driver, so I often use the GPS for our location. Well anyway, it died, and I gave it to the bartender to charge. 2 hours later, I get my phone back, and its charged on 8% -__- we left the bar, and went into a mcdonalds to charge it. It charged fine, up to 50%, then I took it out of the charging port, and the screen was COMPLETELY black. I heard my messages, my ringtones and all, but I couldnt get the display on. When I got home, I searched for answers, how to fix the black screen, but I couldnt find ANYTHING that fit my situation. I have an iphone 4 7.1.2, and the home button is broken. yes I need an upgrade, but i'm not trying to do it now. Well not being able to enter DFU, or turn off "find my iphone" from my phone, I opted to just go to icloud and reset the device. My phone was able to open in itunes at this point.... (my phone is jailbroken) I was relieved that after I reset the device, the light came on as well as proper phone function. After 1 minute, the phone cut off and showed the apple boot and load logo for 60%, followed by the spinning circle. 5 hours later, I let the phone die, and reconnected it. Everything worked normally for 1-2 minutes, then cut off and resumes with the load/boot, then spinning circle. and the same process over and over... If I let it die, I have a 1-2 minute time frame to get my pc to recognize the device. I wish to enter DFU mode then restore it with a backup I created. I've seen almost all of the youtube videos...i tried the stupid paper trick for the home button, and reset but it didnt work. I'm pretty sure the worse thing I did was reset the phone while it was jailbroken.. it would've been easier to work with if my phone was with the dark light. Is my phone a goner? What can I possible do? thank you for reading

Posted on Apr 5, 2015 1:33 PM

11 replies

Apr 5, 2015 3:37 PM in response to Ingo2711

you may or may not care, but for anyone else who has this problem... my solution was to delete cydia. I uninstalled it, and it shut down. after letting it die, I replugged it, and used the 1-2 min time frame I had. Went to settings, then to "find my iphone" and I turned that off. I then went to the general tab, deleted all data, deleted settings, and it shut off with the spinning again. I unplugged it, to let it die naturally again, and 20 minutes later, the spinning stopped (phone was dead) and I reconnected it. This boot up time, for some reason, I was either given additional time after the resetting all of the things, or the problem was solved... I then connected to itunes, and restored to factory settings.. Jailbreaking is not like how it was 10 years ago, its not as fun. But with 24 hours of trial and error, my phone is perfectly functional.

Apr 18, 2015 4:36 AM in response to wetdro

@wetdro

If your device has been jailbroken during the warranty, Apple will not service it.

Maybe you missed that in this article:

Inability to apply future software updates: Some unauthorized modifications have caused damage to iOS that is not repairable. This can result in the hacked iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch becoming permanently inoperable when a future Apple-supplied iOS update is installed.

Apple strongly cautions against installing any software that hacks iOS. It is also important to note that unauthorized modification of iOS is a violation of the iOS end-user software license agreement and because of this, Apple may deny service for an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that has installed any unauthorized software.

copied from Unauthorized modification of iOS can cause security vulnerabilities, instability, shortened battery life, and other issu…

my iphone has the spinning ball of death and I dont know what to do

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.