Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete a photo from a text message?

Experimenting with the Tips, I ended up taking a bad photo in Messages and want to delete, not send it. It's easy enough to delete text but can I delete a photo? If so, how? On the same theme, there are some texts I'd like to keep, others I'd rather delete. Can I be selective or must I delete the whole conversation with a particular person?

iPhone 5c

Posted on Apr 5, 2015 2:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2015 12:49 PM

If the photo hasn't been sent, yes you can delete it with just backspacing. But I think it depends on how you do it; if you do it by sharing a photo to a Message recipient I think it sends automatically. If it sends, it's sent.

Within a conversation you can delete individual messages or photos. Touch and hold one of them until you get a pop-up menu and select "More..." then flag the ones you want to delete. On my phone there's a bug in that process that sometimes makes the "delete button not show up, but in any case that's how you do it.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2015 12:49 PM in response to Max Roberts

If the photo hasn't been sent, yes you can delete it with just backspacing. But I think it depends on how you do it; if you do it by sharing a photo to a Message recipient I think it sends automatically. If it sends, it's sent.

Within a conversation you can delete individual messages or photos. Touch and hold one of them until you get a pop-up menu and select "More..." then flag the ones you want to delete. On my phone there's a bug in that process that sometimes makes the "delete button not show up, but in any case that's how you do it.

Apr 6, 2015 1:03 PM in response to AntonLargiader

Thanks, Anton. That was helpful. I've experimented some more, discovered where to turn the camera round and found that when I take a photo actually in messages, it seems to send automatically. Backspacing didn't do anything. This function may be useful on occasion but I find it more satisfactory to take a photo first and then select, (having deleted the bad ones) - which brings up the option to choose or cancel.

What you said about deleting individual messages was very useful, indeed - once I found the trash icon had appeared.

Speaking of which you may be able to answer another query. In my personal/business email accounts, I have the option (via bin icon) to trash anything I don't want to keep but in my gmail account I can only trash things if I access it on the computer. Is there any means of doing it on the phone?

Delete a photo from a text message?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.