Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

default paper size by printer?

i have three printers. when i set a default paper size in yosemite (yosemite!) it changes the default paper size on all printers. since i have three printers to print on three different types of paper i obviously don't like that because it means i am constantly fiddling with what i find to be a unnecessarily complex and confounding UI to simply print paper.

is there a way to set default paper sizes individually by printer in yosemite?

thanks

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Apr 5, 2015 3:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2015 4:53 PM

hotwheels 22 wrote:

No. This setting in Printers & Scanners is a global setting and was the same for previous versions of OS X.

hotwheels 22 wrote:

since i have three printers to print on three different types of paper i obviously don't like that because it means i am constantly fiddling with what i find to be a unnecessarily complex and confounding UI to simply print paper.

Unfortunately that is given for OS X. If you have one of the HPs set as the default and then want to print to the Epson large format then you will have to change the desired output paper size.

But you can save this as a Preset for the selected printer, so that when you want to print a larger paper size on a particular type of paper to the Epson, you can select this preset - and it will only appear in the Presets menu when you select the Epson. The same applies for the other printers. If you want to print 4"x6" photos on glossy paper to the new HP, then save this as a preset and then when you print, you only have to select the new HP and the relevant saved Preset.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2015 4:53 PM in response to hotwheels22

hotwheels 22 wrote:

No. This setting in Printers & Scanners is a global setting and was the same for previous versions of OS X.

hotwheels 22 wrote:

since i have three printers to print on three different types of paper i obviously don't like that because it means i am constantly fiddling with what i find to be a unnecessarily complex and confounding UI to simply print paper.

Unfortunately that is given for OS X. If you have one of the HPs set as the default and then want to print to the Epson large format then you will have to change the desired output paper size.

But you can save this as a Preset for the selected printer, so that when you want to print a larger paper size on a particular type of paper to the Epson, you can select this preset - and it will only appear in the Presets menu when you select the Epson. The same applies for the other printers. If you want to print 4"x6" photos on glossy paper to the new HP, then save this as a preset and then when you print, you only have to select the new HP and the relevant saved Preset.

default paper size by printer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.