Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happened to that extension that allowed one to duplicate a tab?

Hi--

I recently upgraded to Yosemite (and thus the new version of Safari). There used to be a great extension that allowed on to click it (it had a rudimentary graphic with a + sign within it -- though I can't remember the name!) -- and it allowed you to duplicate the current window you were viewing in a subsequent (to the right) tabbed window. It resided up on the top left of Safari once it was installed. But it doesn't appear to be an extension I can download anymore. Does anyone remember what it was called? Maybe I am just not finding it.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 5, 2015 3:11 PM

20 replies

Jan 20, 2017 1:26 AM in response to schoodle

I know this is an older thread, but am updating it anyway.

I've got Sierra 10.12.2 and Safari 10.0.2 and have the duplicate tab extension. But now my New York Times headlines extension is mis-formatted. You can see the duplicate tab extension to left of adblock. I also note that the extension is no longer listed. However, the option is available via "customize tool bar" again.

User uploaded file

May 13, 2017 9:52 PM in response to Jaco_Crash

I'm guessing you see them under 'customize tool bar', because you installed both Adblock and Duplicate Tab a long time ago and as long as you haven't rebuilt your Mac by formatting the drive and reinstalling the macOS and all apps, you still have them installed. Neither one comes by default with Safari. You can double-check this under Safari > Preferences > Extensions—if you see them there, as I suspect you will, those are Extensions you have installed.

Jul 9, 2017 10:55 PM in response to Jaco_Crash

Another late reply to this thread.

The "complicated" stackexchange link above (https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/217495/what-is-a-quick-way-to-duplicat e-a-tab-in-safari) also includes the following very simple method which works a treat for me. This is probably why the maker of Duplicate Tab abandoned it.

Cmd/L, Cmd/Return, for me. You don't even need to let go of Cmd.TetsujinNov 29 '15 at 8:50

Jul 10, 2017 9:15 AM in response to mikebhm

I confirmed with Apple this morning that they no longer offer the Duplicate Tab extension icon for the toolbar, they wanted to cut down on all the clutter up there. They came up with any easier way... dragging the URL to the + sign on the end of the tabs section.

So, using my Logitech 2 button + scroll wheel in center mouse, I click on the URL with the left button and hold it while I drag the URL to the + sign on the far right side of the tabs, and PRESTO! 😀 a duplicated page in a new tab appears. That's all there is to it.

However, if you have a different mouse or you're using a trackpad, it's likely different. I'm currently on my desktop so I use the Logitech mouse. When on my MacBook Air it's probably not the same. Will update when I move to my Air with those instructions, if I remember to, that is.

Oct 8, 2017 5:25 AM in response to schoodle

Some of the commands I found on the list I posted a link to it earlier, do not work anymore, including the one to duplicate Safari tabs. It depends which version of Mac os and Safari you are using. I'm currently using Mac os Sierra 10.12.6 and Safari 11.0. So, I'm highlighting URLs and dragging them to the + symbol on the far right of the tab bar.

Apr 6, 2015 12:15 PM in response to Jaco_Crash

Open Safari.

On the top row drop down menus, go to View>Customize Toolbar.

A window will open where your can customize your toolbar with a small selection options. That's where I found it.

However, while looking for this under Safari Extensions, I did a search for it and didn't find it. Not sure if that's because it's already an option under the Customize Toolbar.

Apr 6, 2015 12:17 PM in response to schoodle

Hi -- I'm marking this selection as helpful because I didn't know about it. But I'm not finding that particular tab. It used to be among the most popular extensions but maybe they don't offer it for the new version of Safari that is compatible with Yosemite? It was the best extensions I thought! Anyway, I'll keep looking and if I can find a screen shot of the actual extension avator/gif/logo because someone ought to recognize it. It was almost as popular as AdBlock in the old days.

Apr 6, 2015 1:39 PM in response to Jaco_Crash

@Jaco_Crash

I have Yosemite on my MBA, and the latest version of Safari too, so not sure why you don't see it in the Customize Toolbar options window.

So here again, open a new Safari window, click on View on the top menu bar. Then choose the 2nd option -- Customize Toolbar. A drop down window will open. You should see the Duplicate Tab option just to the left of the Address and Search bar. AdBlock is also there, if you want to add that to your toolbar too.

You just click on it and drag it to the toolbar where you want it. See screen shot below:

User uploaded file

What happened to that extension that allowed one to duplicate a tab?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.