Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the best OS for my 2009 Macbook Pro?

Hello,

I have a mid-2009 Macbook Pro.

I have Yosemite installed and my computer runs like a snail. I need to downgrade my OSX, and I am wondering what is the latest version that will run smoothly on my machine? Will Mavericks run smoothly or should I go with Mountain Lion, or even Lion? I remember my computer operating fine with Mavericks, before I installed Yosemite.

Here are my specs:

2009 Macbook Pro

2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

2Gb 1067 MHz DDR3

Thanks.

Paul

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Apr 5, 2015 4:51 PM

8 replies

Apr 5, 2015 5:19 PM in response to pduna5

If you want the most efficient OSX, it will be Snow Leopard. Each successive OSX has been more bloated than the one before requiring more RAM to run efficiently.

In my opinion, go back to Snow Leopard or upgrade your MBP so that it can run Yosemite properly, hence my prior suggestion. If the bank account permits, an SSD would also be a step in the right direction.

You also may have third party software that is slowing your MBP such as an AV application or some so called performance or cleaning application.

Installed in a proper environment, Yosemite should be able to run very satisfactorily.

Ciao.

Apr 5, 2015 6:21 PM in response to pduna5

Your MBP can run 10.10 quite well but not with 2gb of RAM. If you cannot upgrade the RAM or don't choose to, 10.6 is the right OS. Even lion (10.7) won't run well with 2GB. For Yosemite to run acceptable on your Mac you'll need 8GB or 4gb and an SSD. Best performance would come with 8GB and the SSD. I speak from experience. That was the migration I made with my 2009 MBP.

Jan 29, 2016 6:44 PM in response to pduna5

Don't bother upgrading this computer's memory. the issue you're experiencing is due to the OS upgrade! I was told by a genius at Hillsdale, that this 2008 MacBook Pro was so slow after he upgraded to Yosemite... I'm having issues running el capitan, but its likely that the best version of the OS to run is either 10.7 (soon to be obsolete) or 10.8... I'm in the process of getting mine checked at the moment

What is the best OS for my 2009 Macbook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.