Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to clear backup data

Have a mid 2013 MBP - with 4 GB ram and 500 GB drive. though i have deleted the big outlook back up files totaling 140 GB - still the drive shows a back up of 139 GB - how can i clear this space and increase my storage capacity.

User uploaded file

Kindly give me some solutions to clear up the backups.

Regards

Kousik

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 6, 2015 1:21 AM

2 replies

Apr 6, 2015 7:12 AM in response to jskou

Local snapshots are hidden copies of files that have changed or been deleted in between Time Machine snapshots. They are stored in free space that would otherwise be unused (and therefore wasted.) The space is managed automatically. When free space starts to run low, the snapshots are deleted. The Finder reports the space occupied by local snapshots as "Available," which it is. The Storage display shows them as "Backups."

If there are unwanted changes to files in between Time Machine snapshots—which may be far apart when you're moving around with a portable computer—you may be able to recover from a local snapshot. If you disable local snapshots, you lose that protection, and gain nothing in return. There is no benefit, only risk.

Empty storage space, beyond a certain minimum, is wasted. You paid for it to be there, but it's doing you no good at all. Local snapshots put it to use.

Very seldom, if ever, you might need to delete the local snapshot store in order to add a large amount of data to the volume all at once. If that need ever arises, all you have to do is turn Time Machine OFF in its preference pane, and then turn it back ON immediately.

Unable to clear backup data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.