Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

servername and virtual host name is the same - how to handle this

Hi,

I set up a server with the hostname yxzwiki.org

In the Server app under Websites this domain points to /Sites

In this /Sites directory is all my content (several Wikis) and also the phpmyadmin.

What is the issue now?

I want this xyzwiki.org not only as the hostname but as a virtual host as well.

So I have the following entry in the corresponding conf file.

<VirtualHost *:80>

ServerName xyzwiki.org

ServerAdmin xxx@gmail.com

DocumentRoot "/Sites/xyzwiki/xyzenwiki"

DirectoryIndex index.html index.php

How can I handle this?

xyzwiki.org shows the content of /Sites/xyzwiki/xyzenwiki but I cannot e.g. get access to http://xyzwiki.org/phpmyadmin

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tristan

Posted on Apr 6, 2015 5:40 AM

3 replies

Apr 19, 2015 5:26 AM in response to TristanV

I guess I have talk more about this issue that people got the chance to help 🙂

xyz.org is the host name of our server.

The intention of this server is to run a wiki via mediawiki.

When we first set up the server we planned to have three language versions and the corresponding wikis were found on the server under

en.xyz.org for the English version

de.xyz.org for the German and

es.xyz.org for the Spanish version

But then we decided ONLY to concentrate on the English version and so prefix en became deprecated and we only want the domain xyz.org that shows the English Wiki.

The English wiki is on our server under /Sites/xyz-wiki/xyz-enwiki

In the Server.app I defined /Sites as the server website and I have a virtual host for xyz.org AS WELL that defines /Sites/tangowiki/tangoenwiki.

This seems to overrule the entry in the server.app as xyz.org shows the content of /Sites/xyz-wiki/xyz-enwiki

As I have other "services" as well under /Sites, e.g. phpmyadmin it is not possible for me with xyz.org/phpmyadmin to get to this service.

So what I am looking for is a trick that I can keep the /Sites directory as the main directory for xyz.org. I was thinking of a symlink for the index.php from /Sites/xyz-wiki/xyz-enwiki and to remove the virtual host entry but this does not work. Any other ideas.

Cheers

Tristan

servername and virtual host name is the same - how to handle this

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.