Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is signing up for genius bar so difficult

I just spent fifteen minutes in an endless loop, trying to sign up for the genius bar at an apple store. Tried calling the store, was told by automated voice that I can only do it online. Tried to sign up online, following instructions (find store, select genius bar) but it just sent me to a page that explains what the genius bar is, and suggests other means of support. Finally got the store by pretending I wanted to buy something, explained it was an itunes problem, and I wanted genius bar, and she said let me route you to the iTunes department and sent me back to Customer Care (for which I would have to pay $29 to solve a problem that is definitely Itunes 12 software related). Fortunately she told me the magic word to get someone at the store: "manager." That person also tried to route me to customer care, until I said, aren't there genius bar people who know Itunes? He admitted there were, so now I have an appointment. I'm an Apple Mac Mini user, have been with apple for decades, but this is ridiculous!

Mac mini (Late 2012), iOS 8.2, Itunes 12

Posted on Apr 6, 2015 8:32 AM

3 replies

Apr 6, 2015 10:25 AM in response to ehorwitt

Although we cannot speculate "why", the 'Decision Tree' approach probably indicates that Apple feels that in some cases 'other methods' may be better use of their resources.

I have never failed to get a Genius Bar appt. - answer the questions 'ambiguously' where the 'system' cannot find a match for your statement. As a test one time for another user in your predicament, I put "Blah, blah, blah" in the description field = worked like charm (I stopped short of actually 'making' the reservation)

enjoy your trip to the Apple Store

ÇÇÇ

Apr 6, 2015 12:24 PM in response to ehorwitt

If you have an iDevice, download the Apple store app and you can make an appointment within a few seconds.

Or, using your computer, indicate "no power" or "won't turn on" - that brought up the option of making a Genius Bar appointment.

FWIW, you are not running your Mini on iOS - please update your profile to show which Mac OS you are running.

Why is signing up for genius bar so difficult

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.