Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm getting a "Caution: The iPhoto library is locked, on a locked disc, or you do not have permission to make changes to it."

Any advice on what this means? Is it attempting to access pix on my external hard drive?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011)

Posted on Apr 6, 2015 9:20 AM

3 replies

Apr 6, 2015 10:06 AM in response to lukeedoo

First, if you've moved the iPhoto library to an external drive, make sure that drive is mounted by opening it in the Finder.

The issue can be caused by sharing the photo library on a network (against Apple's advice) or by opening it in more than one local user account at the same time. You may be able to clear the error by logging out or restarting the computer. If not, do as follows.

Quit iPhoto if it's running, locally or on any file-sharing client. Select the iPhoto Library in the Finder. Usually it's in the Pictures folder, but you may have moved it somewhere else. Right-click or control-click the library icon and select

Show Package Contents

from the popup menu. In the folder that opens, navigate to

Database/apdb/lockfile.pid

and move that file, if it exists, to the Trash. Close the Finder window.

Credit for this observation to ASC member Elijahg.

I'm getting a "Caution: The iPhoto library is locked, on a locked disc, or you do not have permission to make changes to it."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.