Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Apple Mail in Snow Leopard not recognizing any new email accounts?

This morning, when I switched on my iMac, I got that dreadful "your computer has reverted xx years message" and it sent me back to 2009. It also threw up a load of small windows saying that xyz (a code) was trying to access my computer.

I immediately shut down and rebooted and all seemed well. However, I can no longer get Mail to import one of my email accounts. It is part of my domain, so I deleted the account and started over but every time I try I get this message: Logging in to the POP server (xxx) failed. Make sure the user name and password are correct.

So, naturally, I have done that, I have reset the password at my domain hosts, tried using IMAP, I have had the tech guys there check everything but no joy. I even set up a whole new account to test but same story.

FYI, I am on Snow Leopard, and Mail 4.6. I have run Disk Utility and an antivirus programme.

Anyone got any ideas?

Posted on Apr 6, 2015 10:19 AM

10 replies

Apr 7, 2015 7:56 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric, thanks for responding.

I may not have explained so well.. but the issue is when I go back to Mail, preferences, accounts, then try to add a new account.

Here is what I get.

User uploaded file

Because I can't even set up this account, Connection Doctor doesn't show anything. All details are correct and confirmed by my domain hosts.

Ever come across this?

Beth

Apr 9, 2015 9:36 PM in response to Beth Tierney

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Why is Apple Mail in Snow Leopard not recognizing any new email accounts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.