Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) will not read an SD card in the SDXC card reader. Does anyone know whats going on?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) will not read an SD card in the SDXC card reader. Does anyone know whats going on?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 6, 2015 11:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2015 4:38 PM

Hi David. I don't have as modern a Macbook Pro as you, mine is a 2012 model, but perhaps I can help. I often find that my SD card will not load when I first insert it. I have to remove it and then put it into the slot again firmly.

You also haven't posted any information about the SD card. What size is it, do you know how it is formatted, has it worked in that same mac previously, where did it come from, does it currently work in another device (such as your camera)? This sort of information will help to narrow down the problem.

If you post some more information I'm sure people will try to help you. In the meantime, if you look at your post again you should see "More Like This" at the bottom of the page and you may find an answer in some of those related posts.

Hope that helps.

Ivan

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2015 4:38 PM in response to David751

Hi David. I don't have as modern a Macbook Pro as you, mine is a 2012 model, but perhaps I can help. I often find that my SD card will not load when I first insert it. I have to remove it and then put it into the slot again firmly.

You also haven't posted any information about the SD card. What size is it, do you know how it is formatted, has it worked in that same mac previously, where did it come from, does it currently work in another device (such as your camera)? This sort of information will help to narrow down the problem.

If you post some more information I'm sure people will try to help you. In the meantime, if you look at your post again you should see "More Like This" at the bottom of the page and you may find an answer in some of those related posts.

Hope that helps.

Ivan

Apr 9, 2015 10:02 AM in response to David751

Hello David751,

I'm sorry to hear you are having this issue with your MacBook Pro. I also apologize, I'm a bit unclear exactly what you are seeing when you insert your SD card (an error message, no response at all, etc). If you continue to have issues seeing or mounting your SD card, you may find the information and steps outlined in the following articles helpful:

OS X Yosemite: Use an SD or SDXC card

About the SD and SDXC card slot - Apple Support

Sincerely,

- Brenden

May 6, 2015 12:49 PM in response to brenden dv

I too am having this issue. I have talked to a senior advisor and he is forwarding to engineer. No matter what I try macbook pro retina 15" late 2013 will not read SD card. I have tried 3 different brands, 3 different sizes, different formats and nothing. Does not show in finder, does not show in disk utility. Diagnostics shows card reader installed and functioning normally. Have blowed out dust, wiggled card, insert/pull/insert/pull/insert .... nothing. Not in safe mode, not in Windows 8.1 Pro in parallels. Just quit working. Cards are fine, work in camera, 2 printers and windows 8.1 laptop. Reinstalled all the way back to Mavericks, nothing. Does not show in Photos, Image Capture, nowhere. Put in windows 8.1 laptop as a share and can mount through the network but not the actual card reader itself. Have purchased 2 brand new PNY cards today, no changes. 4GB, 8GB, 16GB and 32GB. No changes and out of warranty. What is going on with everyone having this issue and no fixes ???

Aug 8, 2015 2:20 AM in response to Country_Strong

Same problem here.

15" MacBook Pro retina Mid 2014, system info says OS X Yosemite 10.10.4

I have a brand new 128Gb SDXC card and it will not mount. I have no other similar cards and no other devices that accept these cards to try it in so need to know is it the card or the MacBook ?

Some assistance would be gratefully received

Russ

Aug 31, 2015 8:18 AM in response to David751

I have this issue with my early 2015 13" Retina Mac Book Pro too. It happens about once a week, my SD card slot just stops working. The only way I can fix it is to reset the PRAM. I've considered bringing it to a genius, but the closest one's 60 miles away so I'm trying to build up more information to determine what's the actual cause before I make that trip.

Other symptoms when I have this issue (before resetting PRAM): longer than normal boot time when SD card is inserted, inability to use any of the EFI boot screens (option booting to recovery/bootcamp, selecting wifi when booting to any network source (recovery, or diagnostics), selecting a target disk when using rEFInd,

If I reboot when I'm having this issue, the sd card no longer appears in disk utility and the SD card bus no longer appears in System Information.

Sep 30, 2015 9:40 AM in response to DemosDemon

Follow up on my own issue, in case anyone else is still having this issue. After I upgraded to El Capitan, the firmware upgrade also updated the Apple Diagnostics tool and I'm guessing there was a new test added. I was finally able to get apple diagnostics to throw an VDC001 error. I have a call with AppleCare tonight to see what resolutions I have available, but I'm suspecting a Logic Board replacement.

Feb 23, 2016 1:14 AM in response to DemosDemon

I'm having the same problem.

Here's what happened:

Last night when I rebooted my Macbook Pro 13" (2015 Retina Model) after a shutting it off it took ages to get to the login screen. I decided to do a SMC reset by pressing Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same. No effect. Then I did a PRAM reset by holding Command-Option-P-R when the Apple logo appears until the computer restarts. After that, it booted fine. However, the sd card reader seems to be dead and when I open "System Information" (formerly known as System Profiler if someone remembers the old OS X days prior to Leopard) it says that there is no card reader installed. After that, I performed Apple Diagnostics (formerly known as Apple Hardware Test - AHT) by pressing D when the Apple logo appears during reboot. I had to do a SMC and PRAM reset again since my Macbook did not boot. With Apple Diagnistics I finally got the error code "VDC001". I contacted Apple Support, scheduled a phone call and now I'm waiting for them to call me. Meanwhile during the night when my MBP performed a Time Machine backup it shut off completely.

My question:

What did Apple when you had the VDC001 error? Could this be early symptoms of a logic board failure?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.