Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

downloads

Hello!

Everytime I download something, the download box disappears. How do I prevent this from happening and how can I retrieve my downloads?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 6, 2015 11:36 AM

6 replies

Apr 6, 2015 1:12 PM in response to Kappy

Sorry, I'm not tech savy. When I go to download, a box pops up and it says downloads at the top. When the download is complete, this box disappears. I used to be able to click on the item that was downloaded and proceed with whatever I was doing. Now, this download box disappears and I don't know where my downloads are going. I need to upgrade. However, I need an additional GB in order to do so. I may need to buy more memory, upgrade and see if I continue to have this problem. I just prefer not to have to buy more memory.

Apr 6, 2015 1:53 PM in response to krystall40

That is a Safari dropdown item. It is activated via this gadget in the top right corner of the window: User uploaded file.

Where your downloads end up is determined by what you configured in Safari's General preferences. Usually that is either the Desktop or your Downloads folder located in your Home folder.

If you are trying to upgrade from Snow Leopard Server, then you would do that by upgrading Snow Leopard to 10.6.8 in order to make your downloads using the App Store.

In your case you will need to erase your drive because the current version of OS X cannot be installed as an upgrade install over the version of Snow Leopard you have installed because it will only upgrade a Snow Leopard client system, not a Snow Leopard Server system.

Apr 6, 2015 2:08 PM in response to krystall40

Well, before you do you want to download whatever version of OS X to which you will upgrade. To do that you must be running 10.6.8. You should open the App Store and download the Yosemite installer (5.3 GBs file.) When the download has finished an Install button should appear on your screen. Click on the button. A window will open in which you will be asked to select the destination disk. Before you do that look at the screen's menubar at the top of the screen. There should be a Utilities menu. Select Disk Utility from that menu. Select the indented entry probably labeled Macintosh HD. In the main window of Disk Utility click on the Erase tab. Set the format type to MacOS Extended, Journaled. Click on the Erase button. When completed quit Disk Utility. Now proceed with installing Yosemite. You may be asked to enter your Apple ID and password.

downloads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.