Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QuickTime mkv codec

Hi, I want to play MKV files on my Mac with QuickTime player. I've already downloaded DivX Codec for mac but QT still can't open MKV.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 6, 2015 12:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2015 10:20 AM

Hi, I want to play MKV files on my Mac with QuickTime player. I've already downloaded DivX Codec for mac but QT still can't open MKV.

MKV (Matroska) is not a codec—it is a modern, extensible, open standard Multimedia container. Installing the Perian codec package will normally allow QT 7 to play and QT X to convert MKV files—but only if your system is configured with the codecs need to support the data in the MKV file container. In addition, QT 7 (which is a program stream media player) will often have to read through then entire file before it may begin playback. (With something like a 30-minute DVD TV episode, this can take a while. With a feature length Blu-ray movie—forget it.) Your best solution for almost all MKV files is to use an FFmpeg-based media player like VLC, NicePlayer, MPlayerX, Blu-ray Player, or similar apps that will begin playback immediately and support common compression formats used in MKV files.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2015 10:20 AM in response to InterWall

MKV (Matroska) is not a codec—it is a modern, extensible, open standard Multimedia container. Installing the Perian codec package will normally allow QT 7 to play and QT X to convert MKV files—but only if your system is configured with the codecs need to support the data in the MKV file container. In addition, QT 7 (which is a program stream media player) will often have to read through then entire file before it may begin playback. (With something like a 30-minute DVD TV episode, this can take a while. With a feature length Blu-ray movie—forget it.) Your best solution for almost all MKV files is to use an FFmpeg-based media player like VLC, NicePlayer, MPlayerX, Blu-ray Player, or similar apps that will begin playback immediately and support common compression formats used in MKV files.

QuickTime mkv codec

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.