Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My photos are always duplicating before I download. I have to go in a select each one to download so that I do not have two sets of each. It is not because I haven't selected exclude duplicates. It is duplicating everything before I download.

How do I get just one copy to download? Not of anything I have downloaded before, iphoto actually duplicates every picture before I download.

I have to select each one and then download so that I do not have duplicates of everything. Exclude duplicates is turned on

Mac Pro, iOS 7

Posted on Apr 6, 2015 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2015 1:40 PM

Do you have photo stream enabled on your iPhone? Then you may be seeing the Photo Stream album in the Import panel in addition to the Camera Roll.

Try the following work-around: Open the Camera.app o your iPhone before you connect it to USB, then the Photo Stream will not show in the Import panel.

Another possible reason for seeing all photos twice in the Import panel might be, if you are shooting your photos in HDR. Then the camera roll will be holding the synthesised HDR version plus the original JPEG. In that case you will not actually see duplicates, but different qualities.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2015 1:40 PM in response to Benbrook Stables

Do you have photo stream enabled on your iPhone? Then you may be seeing the Photo Stream album in the Import panel in addition to the Camera Roll.

Try the following work-around: Open the Camera.app o your iPhone before you connect it to USB, then the Photo Stream will not show in the Import panel.

Another possible reason for seeing all photos twice in the Import panel might be, if you are shooting your photos in HDR. Then the camera roll will be holding the synthesised HDR version plus the original JPEG. In that case you will not actually see duplicates, but different qualities.

Jul 23, 2015 1:16 PM in response to Benbrook Stables

I too have this problem. I did not have HDR selected on my iPhone 5 (or at least didn't intend to) while taking pictures, but iPhoto duplicated everything I downloaded.

I acquired a recommended app called "Duplicate Cleaner for iPhoto" (free, because I don't feel I should have to purchase another tool to fix something that shouldn't have happened anyway), ran it through my iPhoto folders, and it only cleaned up some of the duplicates, not my most recent download. Those I had to go through and manually select and trash.

Too time-consuming!!

Thanks for letting me rant.

Aug 28, 2015 5:02 PM in response to forzadora

,at the very bottom,its asks if you want to keep normal photo when using HDR. I chose to close it,let's see what happens

That is risky, if you have HDR routinely enabled. If you are taking HDR photos, when the lighting is poor and the objects are moving, the normal photos may be much better than the HDR photos, because the HDR photos may've a horrible motion blur. it is much saver to select the "keepers" manually, and not to discard the normal photos sight unseen.

My photos are always duplicating before I download. I have to go in a select each one to download so that I do not have two sets of each. It is not because I haven't selected exclude duplicates. It is duplicating everything before I download.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.