Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to authorize the 3 additional internal hard drives I have in my Mac to the music I've purchased from the iTunes store as well as authorize my desktop Mac at a remote location. I know my username, but I'm not sure about my password.

I have 2 PowerMac G4 Mirrored Door desktops. One here, one at a remote location. These machines run Mac OS X 10.4.11.

My home machine has 4 internal hard drives, 3 of which are the Western Digital Caviar line, 232 GB each, plus the original 80 GB drive.

I want to authorize my additional internal hard drives here at home to access the music I've purchased from the iTunes store, but I don't remember my password to allow for this. I want to authorize only ONE of my hard drives at my remote computer.

Each Mac has a 1.25 GHz processor, 2 GB RAM.

I lost my "little black book" of passwords recently, but I'm certain it wasn't stolen, only misplaced.

How do I recover my lost password to authorize my other drives and computer to play the music I've purchased?

Posted on Apr 6, 2015 3:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2015 2:38 PM

You don't authorize drives, you authorize the computer. That is done running iTunes from your startup system. Each individual computer needs to be authorized until you reach 5 which is the maximum under any single Apple ID. If you forgot your password for your Apple ID: Forgot iCloud Password.

5 replies

Apr 7, 2015 2:54 PM in response to Kappy

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough with my original problem. I've installed three additional internal hard drives to my G4 Mac tower for a total of 4 drives. I have OS X 10.4.11 installed on every drive, and configured as nearly as identical as possible for insurance in the event my original hard drive suffers a catastrophic failure.

I've even copied all of my iTunes music to these drives. All of the music files I've encoded from my original CDs play fine from any start-up HD. But the music I purchased from the iTunes Store won't play on anything except my original HD when it's the start-up drive. since they're AIFF or whatever the heck they are. When I attempt to play them, I get a message saying I'm not the original buyer, even though it's showing my proper Apple ID name.

I'm not authorizing another computer, just my extra hard drives. But iTunes launched on any hard drive other than my original start-up drive doesn't offer an "Authorize Computer" menu option, only de-authorize, and this confuses me.

When I attempt to play purchased files, the Mac tells me who purchased the music (me) but gives me no options on how to play the files.

I want to authorize the 3 additional internal hard drives I have in my Mac to the music I've purchased from the iTunes store as well as authorize my desktop Mac at a remote location. I know my username, but I'm not sure about my password.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.