Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I currently have iOS 6.1.3 installed on 4s, can I update to iOS 7.1.2?

I have downloaded iOS 7.1.2 from the apple website (http://appldnld.apple.com/) and I'm getting the following error when trying to update:

"The iPhone '...' could not be updated. This device isn't eligible for the requested build."

Is this because it is no longer officially possible to update to iOS7 or may there be some other reasons?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 7, 2015 1:39 AM

3 replies

Apr 21, 2015 1:01 AM in response to everdimension

Believe what you want, I can assure you it is not an Apple website. You have to be very careful with internet sites, there are very many that impersonate the authentic ones to confuse the user into downloading malware and other non desirable things.

You cannot upgrade to iOS 7. Apple´s policy is that only upgrading to the latest version of iOS is acceptable. That is why you cannot update the software through the legitimate Apple website except to the latest version. This is currently iOS 8.3.

My advice is not to use the file you have downloaded. Of course it is your decision.

If I currently have iOS 6.1.3 installed on 4s, can I update to iOS 7.1.2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.