Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please recommend a webcam for Mac mini

I have a Mac mini ( late 2014 model ). I'm looking for a webcam that is compatible with Mac mini, and is suitable for creating 1080p videos to be shared on sites like YouTube.

Please recommend one. Thanks!

Mac mini (Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 7, 2015 5:46 AM

25 replies

Apr 7, 2015 3:50 PM in response to Jason_Su

I recommend the Logitech C310 as a budget webcam that is great if you every once in a while will use it. If you have the extra money, the Logitech C920 is an excellent camera that delivers 1080p60 video. The C920 is used by many creative professionals and podcasters it's very well respected and is a #1 Best Seller on Amazon. And yes, these are all compatible with Mac OS X.

C310: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-960-000585-HD-Webcam-C310/dp/B003LVZO8S/ref=sr_1_ 2?ie=UTF8&qid=1428446673&sr=8-2&keywords…

C920: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Webcam-Widescreen-Calling-Recording/dp/B006JH8T3S /ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428446673&sr=8-…

May 31, 2015 4:24 PM in response to jamesx86

Boy, it sure is difficult to actually get an answer to this question. Lots of conflicting info regarding the c615 and c920 Logitechs. Because of the way google charges now for placement, no matter what I put in to search, I get the same top ten pages and then nothing. Then, on forums hundreds of "what is your laptop" questions etc.

Does anyone use a webcam for video conferencing (Skype, Hangouts) in the world? And use one with a Mac Mini? And can recommend? I'd call tech support as I have a contract but I'm sure I'll get the "we don't recommend third party etc blah "

Help. Please. Someone Help. :-)

Jun 1, 2015 7:12 AM in response to jamesx86

Then why are so many people on Amazon, bestbuy, other review sites, having trouble with the audio, echo, where they can't get the correct software, where they have trouble with drivers, where they can get it work with Facetime, but not Hangouts, and getting a picture that isn't jaggy? Apparently almost anything is fine for awesome cat videos or 12 minute unpacking your awesome phone video, but if you want something that is consistent and works, it is a little difficult really.

Jun 2, 2015 9:00 AM in response to Jason_Su

Jason_Su wrote:... I'm looking for a webcam ... suitable for creating 1080p videos to be shared on sites like YouTube...

I think a camcorder is a much better choice. Far more flexible with better image quality than webcams.

Before you buy, consider looking at some of the camcorder alternatives. Yosemite known compatible list.

Some low cost examples that are close to top of the line webcam prices:

GoPro Hero

Canon VIXIA Mini

Sony Action Cam

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.10.3

Jun 3, 2015 9:57 AM in response to TuckerdogAVL

You're most welcome!

TuckerdogAVL wrote: ... Is there a tutorial on it? I have a great Canon Vixia HD camcorder.

No tutorial that I know, but your Canon may be workable for video chat use, too. I have used both Canon VIXIA HV30 and Canon VIXIA HV40 Firewire connected camcorders with my Macs with great success.

If your VIXIA is a tape-based camcorder that offers a Firewire connection, get your firewire cable and an Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter, and give your Canon a test with your new mini. If should work with iMovie as well as with FaceTime, Messages, and your browser-based video chats.

Mac OSX 10.10.3

Jun 3, 2015 2:09 PM in response to EZ Jim

Alas, no it is not firewire. I do have an old Sony Handycam that is firewire but I read somewhere that it won't work with a Mac. I have a 400 to 800 to thunderbolt setup for an old dvd recorder I use, and I tried simply running the firewire as I usually do to transfer into the computer, but there wasn't anything on the sony that appeared to allow the camera to act as a camera. I think I'm missing something in "translation," because there is an dv in/out jack (how I transfer the tapes to iMovie). The camera has an av in/out but my choices are Video 1, 2, 3.

So, the Canon VixiaHFS20 won't work huh?

Jun 4, 2015 8:29 AM in response to TuckerdogAVL

TuckerdogAVL wrote:

Alas, no it is not firewire. .... So, the Canon VixiaHFS20 won't work huh?

It won't work as a webcam. For webcam use, you would need a VIXIA HV20, 30, or 40. Those models write to mini DV tape and connect via Firewire.

In general, your HFS20 and my earlier camcorder recommendations will work to capture clips that you can import into iMovie for editing (if desired) or record directly into iMovie for sharing on sites like YouTube. However, to add webcam use with Skype or Hangout, you will need either a Mac-compatible webcam or a Mac-compatible, Firewire-connected, tape-based camcorder, or both a compatible webcam and a compatible camcorder.

If you simply decide to add a camera that will work with your Mac's video chat software, one of the webcams recommended by others who have posted here will be your best choice for chat tasks. You can continue to use your VIXIA HFS20 camcorder for capturing your clips for sharing. Alternatively, you can consider buying a Mac-compatible, Firewire-connected, tape-based camcorder such as a VIXIA HV20, 30, or 40 that can serve both recording and chat functions.

If you cannot find a Mac-compatible, Firewire-connected, tape-based camcorder locally, you can find them offered in on-line auction sites like this example. A wide range of price and quality is available. Be certain that any of interest meet the Mac-compatible, Firewire-connected, tape-based requirements.

TuckerdogAVL wrote: ... I do have an old Sony Handycam that is firewire but I read somewhere that it won't work with a Mac....

Your Sony may not be Mac compatible. The Sony's I remember as not being Mac-compatible were the "micro-MV" models. If yours is s Firewire-connected "mini-DV" model, it should work, but some users have reported difficulty with Sony mini-DV models that connected through Sony "docking stations." You can check your Sony's user manual or packaging. Sony Marketing would want to ensure that your model is advertised as Mac-compatible if it is.

FYI, I have and use the (long ago discontinued) Sony DCR-TRV17 and Sony DCR-TRV70 Firewire-connected tape-based camcorders with my Macs. They are compatible for both video clip and video chat purposes. I occasionally see both advertised in the used market.

TuckerdogAVL wrote:... I have a 400 to 800 to thunderbolt setup for an old dvd recorder I use, and I tried simply running the firewire as I usually do to transfer into the computer, but there wasn't anything on the sony that appeared to allow the camera to act as a camera. I think I'm missing something in "translation," because there is an dv in/out jack (how I transfer the tapes to iMovie). The camera has an av in/out but my choices are Video 1, 2, 3.

I don't understand what you think should be "on the sony".

You won't need the "av in/out" connection.

Here is how I would test your camera:

• make your Firewire connections,

• plug your camera adapter into wall power,

• set the power switch to "Camera",

• verify that there is no tape in the tape bay, and

• check the camera's "A/V→ DV OUT" setting to be sure you are not converting the signal to analog.

• Then launch an app to test whether the camera is working.

For this test, I suggest Photo Booth because of its simplicity.

If your camera is working with the Mac, the Photo Booth > Camera menu

should allow you to select and use your Sony. If that works, you can

quit Photo Booth and try a video chat session with FaceTime or Messages.

If you use a browser-based video chat site, you will find that most use Flash-based video.

For help with Flash for OS X 10.10.x, see the discussion in this thread.

If your Sony fails the above "test", it may not be compatible for use with Mac video chat apps.

Mac OSX 10.10.3

Jan 11, 2016 3:02 AM in response to clark828

Hiya,

I got a Logitech C920 to use with my Macbook air (2014) with a view to making stop motion animations with my son. It's kind of compatible but it's not the best supported Logitech webcam for Macs. The previous version (C910) is more compatible with the Mac and Logitech provide more support for this model rather than the C920 - I seem to have a knack for choosing gadgets which are not quite right for me.

There's a list of Logitech webcams and compatibility levels on their website:

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/article/6471?product=a0qi00000069uigAAA

There's a Logitech driver app which does give some additional functionality available in the app store and there's a 3rd party app from Mactaris called "Webcam Settings" which does unlock all the features available on the C920. It's a paid for app and I haven't used it myself yet.

Here's what works and doesn't work for me:

• Photobooth - works well, recognises the C920 and takes photos 🙂
  • iMovie - doesn't offer the C920 as an option 😟
  • Facetime - works 🙂
  • Adobe Premiere Elements 14 - I can get a video feed and record live video from the C920 but it doesn't give me the stop-motion option so I think there's a hardware/driver issue there somewhere 😐

There may be limited functionality with apps that's not obvious as well i.e. the ability to record full HD video. From some of the posts I've read some people have had problems getting full 1080 resolution, it's not something that I've encountered yet but I've only recently got one so maybe there's another problem for me in the near future.

I've plugged this in to an old Laptop running Windows 7 which automatically downloaded the drivers and webcam hub software with full compatibility, it's a bit depressing to go back to my mac and have to struggle with the limited options. Apparently Logitech blame the control Apple exercise over their hardware for the deficiencies in their drivers and software.

In summary, the Logitech C920 is a very good webcam with a good quality image, the sound's a bit lacking so a USB mic would provide far better audio. The C920 isn't fully supported on the Mac OSX to date (Jan 2016) so you may encounter issues trying to use it with different apps so you may be better getting the older C910.

I hope this helps people out and I wish I'd dug a little deeper with my research before making my purchase.

Please recommend a webcam for Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.