Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will the new Macbook (2015) work with the Thunderbolt Display?

I'm considering purchasing the new MacBook and have a 27" Thunderbolt display. Will the new MacBook work with the display?

Posted on Apr 7, 2015 7:14 AM

8 replies

Apr 9, 2015 2:52 PM in response to Schulzy9

Well this is all a bit embarrassing. Three years ago I persuaded my department to buy me a Macbook Air, which (via "X11") makes a very nice interface to our LINUX system. Scrounging a bit of extra money last year, I managed to purchase a ThunderBolt display. So when I'm at base, it's perfect - I just dock the air, and I get a brilliant monitor interface to our LINUX Cluster. Unfortunately storage is nearly full on the 3-year old air, and this year I've made a bid to 2015/16 computer budget to buy the new MacBook.

Problem is, if this really cannot be connected to the Thunderbolt display, then it gives the impression I've bought obsolete display equipment. Surely there must be some sort of USB-C -> Thunderbolt connector that Apple could design?

Will the new Macbook (2015) work with the Thunderbolt Display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.