Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot use Messages or Facetime on Macbook since updating to Yosemite.

Hello,

I have a Macbook (Late 2009)

Processor: 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 4 GB

Storage Capacity: 320 GB

I have updated the software to the OSX Yosemite, currently 10.10.2

Ever since I updated my laptop to Yosemite I have been unable to use Messages or Facetime. Before the update I was able to use facetime with no problems. Now every time I go to sign in it just keeps loading, it loads for hours without actually signing me in or stating that there has been an error. I am always connected to a strong WIFI and I do not understand why it is not working.

When I brought my computer into the Apple store they found out that my iCloud could not sync to my computer because a program was blocking it, they deleted the program and iCloud synced with no issues. They told me that I should be able to access to Messages and Facetime now that the program was removed. However, I cannot and it is quite frustrating as these are programs that I do need. It is hard for me to constantly bring in my laptop to get it looked at so I was wondering if anyone has an idea of what I can do to help fix the issue. Thank you!

macbook 2009, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Apr 7, 2015 8:58 AM

1 reply

Apr 10, 2015 9:04 AM in response to xxtrishy05xx

Hello xxtrishy05xx,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

To start troubleshooting this issue where you're unable to connect to FaceTime or Messages, I'd like you to please update OS X to 10.10.3. Once updated, please try to sign in to Messages and FaceTime again. If the issue persists, please let me know.

How to update your Mac

1. You should back up your Mac before installation. To do this you can use Time Machine.
  2. Use the Updates pane of the Mac App Store to check for the latest Apple software updates, including this update.
  3. Other software updates available for your computer might appear, which you should install. Some updates might need to be installed before other updates appear.
  4. Don't interrupt the installation process once you've started to update your system.
  5. You might experience unexpected results if you have third-party system software modifications installed, or if you've modified the operating system through other means.

About the OS X Yosemite v10.10.3 Update - Apple Support

Take care,

Alex H.

Cannot use Messages or Facetime on Macbook since updating to Yosemite.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.