Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reconnecting to truncated media

Is there a way to reconnect media in a FCP7 sequence cut with camera footage to truncated quicktimes of colour corrected footage?

For example, the sequence is cut together with camera-length footage (from "action" to "cut") but the colour correct supplies quicktimes that are the shorter used portions between "action" and "cut" -- how do you reconnect or relink your sequence to the truncated clips without getting errors about media attributes like start and end being different? Also, the original sequence media is Prores 422 Proxy 1920 x 1080 media and the new colour correct media is Prores 444 2048 x 1152.

Posted on Apr 7, 2015 8:57 AM

5 replies

Apr 7, 2015 11:43 AM in response to ckahn

I'm not sure I understand what you are doing, particularly the discrepancy in frame sizes - but do the timecodes match?

If you describe your workflow, someone may be able to suggest a better solution - but if the timecodes don't match the you'll have to visually match the corrected footage on a scene by scene basis.

Here is a link to software that my be able to help in the reconnecting to the color corrected clips:

http://www.retooled.net/?page_id=784

MtD

Apr 7, 2015 12:31 PM in response to Meg The Dog

FCP cannot do this on it's own. Unless the media you are trying to connect it is EXACTLY the same duration, exact same start and edit timecode, and exact tape number, FCP will not link to it. If you have shorter clips and want to link them to longer media files, you can't. If you have long clips and you want to link them to shorter media files...you can't.

YOU CAN, however, with the app Meg mentioned....link shorter clips to longer media files. But I do not think there is any way to link larger, longer duration clips, to shorter duration media files. That app, as far as I know, only does short clips to long files. I've used it myself for that, and it excels in doing that.

Why are you doing what you are doing? Color correction is the last phase. I gather you are trying to recut an already locked and color corrected show. You'll have to recut with the proxy media and submit the recut sections to be re-graded.

Apr 7, 2015 2:19 PM in response to Meg The Dog

It looks like the timecodes match but they are within smaller clips.

Is there a way to consolidate the sequence the way Avid does? Turn a sequence into clips just long enough for usage within the sequence, rather than the full "action" to "cut" length?

Workflow is offline edit in FCP7, online edit, colour correct, give colour corrected clips for green screen sequence full of 4 frame wipes to VFX artist to composite together. The VFX artist is having trouble building this sequence and matching the truncated colour corrected using my XML export so I was seeing if there was a way to figure out how to link the colour corrected clips in FCP7 so I could give them an XML that linked to this new material.

Apr 7, 2015 2:51 PM in response to ckahn

"Is there a way to consolidate the sequence the way Avid does? Turn a sequence into clips just long enough for usage within the sequence, rather than the full "action" to "cut" length?"

Yes. Highlight the sequence in the Browser, right click on it and choose MEDIA MANAGER. Then COPY, only sequence contect...with the handle length of your choosing.

Why are the clips truncated when given to the VFX artist? They should have handles. Whenever I grade, I always include handles. How was this graded? And why didn't they give you handles?

May 8, 2015 2:11 PM in response to Shane Ross

The clips are truncated compared to the camera originals, so the camera runs between "action" and "cut" and could be any length of many minutes but the portions used in the final edit are just slivers of that. We ended up sending the VFX artist two XMLs, one from the colour correct of truncated clips and one from the camera original sequence.

Reconnecting to truncated media

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.