Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote files will not open.

I have all system and app updates for my MacPro. However in each attempt to open a Keynote file we receive a prompt "must upgrade to latest edition of Keynote'. I am using the latest version 6.5.2. Files will not open. Help.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 7, 2015 12:07 PM

3 replies

Apr 8, 2015 2:38 AM in response to RDS407

Keynote 6.5 should open all previous version files (except 1 and 2)

Try resetting Keynote; perform all the steps in the order listed:

1. remove Keynote version 6.5, you must use an application removal tool for this procedure to work: Appcleaner is free, I use Appzapper
  2. empty the trash
  3. shut Down the Mac (Apple menu > Shut Down)
  4. wait 10 seconds, then press the power button
  5. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key,
    release the Shift key when you see the grey Apple screen
    start up will take a few minutes longer than usual as the Mac is performing a software repair
  6. restart the Mac normally, (don’t hold down any keys during startup)
  7. install Keynote from the Mac App Store

Apr 20, 2015 1:37 AM in response to RDS407

RDS407,

Have you resolved this issue? I spent two weeks creating a Keynote presentation for a class, and when I attempted to open it later, it gave me the same error message -- "You need a newer version of Keynote to open this file." So frustrating! I am also using 6.5.2. I've zapped and reinstalled the application (according to Gary's instructions), re-installed Yosemite, dug up older versions through archive utility and changed file extensions from .zip to .key, ran disk repair utilities, tried to back door it by converting it to Powerpoint and back to Keynote....just about everything I can think of to do, and it STILL doesn't work.

I'm just about to lose my patience with this. Do you have ANY suggestions whatsoever???? HELP!!!!

Keynote files will not open.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.