Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much interactivity required for book to be an app?

When is a book really an app, and vice versa? I have seen many apps that are books but with added interactivity, audio, games, etc. How much of this enhanced content is required to see the book as an app rather than an e-book? What is the deciding factor? Is it a percentage of the whole?

The lines are blurring with enhancements being easier to add today. I wish to sell content where it will sell the most copies. Apps seem to out sell books.

Is it acceptable to sell the same content in both stores—perhaps with differing enhancements? Does Apple have a policy published on this?

Posted on Apr 7, 2015 11:42 AM

1 reply

Apr 7, 2015 12:16 PM in response to SueC54

Only .epub and .ibooks formats are accepted by the iBookstore. If you have more interactivity than those formats can support, then you have to create an app and sell it in the app store.

I'm not sure whether the app store will accept things which could just as easily be done as .epub or .ibooks. You should probably ask in the developer forums about others experiences with that

Developer Forums

How much interactivity required for book to be an app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.