Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I factory restore my phone if I forgot the password.

I bought a phone at a Fleamarket and it has a password on it and I tied to do the reset on the computer but it won't reset it.

iPhone 5

Posted on Apr 7, 2015 2:28 PM

11 replies

Apr 7, 2015 5:23 PM in response to Ajiss

You must follow EXACTLY.

1. Turn off your device and leave it off.
  2. Plug in your device's USB cable to a computer with iTunes.
  3. Hold down the Home button on your device as you connect the USB cable. Keep holding down the Home button until you see the Connect to iTunes screen.

Note that you do not connect the cable to the phone until AFTER you are pressing and holding the HOME button. It should NOT be connected to the phone in Step 2, only to the computer.

Apr 7, 2015 5:26 PM in response to Ajiss

Ah, that's a different problem. That means that the phone was probably jailbroken. It may not be possible to restore it, but you can try using DFU mode. If this doesn't work after 3 tries the phone is probably unrecoverable.

DFU mode:

• Install the latest version of iTunes on your computer if it isn't there already
  • Reboot your computer
  • Disable any antivirus and firewalls
  • Launch iTunes
  • Connect the device cable to a USB port on the computer (not to a USB hub), but DO NOT CONNECT TO THE DEVICE YET
  • Press and hold the HOME and SLEEP buttons at the same time for exactly 10 seconds, until the screen turns black, then release the SLEEP button but continue holding the HOME button. If an Apple logo appears while holding both buttons you held for too long; start over.
  • While still holding the HOME button connect the other end of the cable to the device
  • You should see a message in iTunes saying a phone in Recovery mode has been detected. When you see that message release the HOME button and the device should restore.

How can I factory restore my phone if I forgot the password.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.