Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Problems (Slow, Pages won't load, etc)

Hi,

My MBPro is less than a year old. All software is up to date.

My new 802.11 AC router is installed without a problem.

Safari keeps lagging in loading pages. Sometimes they just don't load.

I thought it was the router or internet connection but it's not.

Google Chrome is lightening fast.

I've cleared cache, browser history, etc.

Not sure what else to do.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Posted on Apr 7, 2015 6:45 PM

30 replies

Apr 7, 2015 7:45 PM in response to QuantumJourney

Start up in Recovery mode. In the OS X Utilities screen, select Get Help Online. A clean copy of Safari will launch. No plugins, such as Flash, will be available. While in Recovery, you'll have no access to your saved bookmarks or passwords, so make a note of those before you begin, if they're needed for the test.

Test. After testing, restart as usual and post the results.

Apr 9, 2015 5:44 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc

I wanted to wait until after the OS X Update to see if anything changed and it didn't.

I followed the instructions but I did not lose any passwords. The desktop looked the same. My passwords were there. I held down the command and R key while restarting and let go when the Apple Logo appeared.

The Safari issue is a hit and miss. Some moments is lightening fast, others it is snail pace.

I only have one Extension and that's for Last Pass - my password keeper.

The slowdown has been happening for a couple months - with the old router and now with the new. I thought the new one 802.11 ac would speed things up. But every once in a while - I just sit and wait for a page to load. Sometimes it just doesn't load at all.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again

Bill

Apr 10, 2015 6:40 AM in response to QuantumJourney

I have the same problem, I think is from the latest upgrade.

Normally when I restart the computer that work again.

When the computer go to sleep mode and wake the Safari lost the DNS, because if you put a direct IP (ie http://200.29.172.75/) that work fine.

From some weeks to now I swich to Chrome to avoid problems.

I Think is an Apple issue.

Apr 10, 2015 8:13 AM in response to QuantumJourney

What version of the OS are you using?

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History and Web Site Data. The down side is it clears all cookies.Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site.

Activity Monitor – Monitor Performance Problems

Activity Monitor - Mavericks also Yosemite

Activity Monitor in Mavericks has significant changes

Performance Guide

Why is my computer slow

Why your Mac runs slower than it should

Slow Mac After Mavericks

Things you can do to resolve slowdowns see post by Kappy

6 Easy Tips to Speed Up OS X Yosemite on Your Mac

Try running this program and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read.

Etrecheck – System Information

Apr 10, 2015 1:48 PM in response to Eric Root

Root ask me about my configuration

Información del hardware:

Nombre del modelo: MacBook Pro

Identificador del modelo: MacBookPro8,2

Nombre del procesador: Intel Core i7

Velocidad del procesador: 2,2 GHz

Cantidad de procesadores: 1

Cantidad total de núcleos: 4

Caché de nivel 2 (por núcleo): 256 KB

Caché de nivel 3: 6 MB

Memoria: 8 GB

Versión de la ROM de arranque: MBP81.0047.B27

Versión SMC (sistema): 1.69f4

Información del software de sistema:

Versión del sistema: OS X 10.10.2 (14C1514)

Versión del kernel: Darwin 14.1.0

Volumen de arranque: Mac Nicolas

Modo de arranque: Normal

Apr 11, 2015 8:32 AM in response to nicolaspascual

I'm using my iPhone as a hot spot right now and no problems with Safari. Maybe it's Time Warner? I'm moving to Cox at the beginning of the month so we'll see if it continues. Will post in a month or two with results.

I've tried everything else on every FAQ page and it was either the router (which Airport Extreme seemed to fix) or carrier & modem.

Apr 14, 2015 2:28 PM in response to QuantumJourney

I think I have the solution, that work for me not as good I want but I don't loose the web pages.

I change the DNS in the router.

If you have 8.8.8.8 as DNS network/advanced/DNS you have problems.

I found this link,

http://www.cnet.com/news/google-dns-slowing-down-itunes-and-apple-tv/

Chrome work fine at nay time and with any DNS, I check with three of them.

Apr 14, 2015 2:37 PM in response to nicolaspascual

I don't what is going on, but I believe it's Safari regardless of the device you use. I have tried all of the usual tricks (clearing the cache and deleting the cache.db, etc). Safari is painfully slow for some, but not all, websites regardless of whether or not I use it on my iMac (10.10.3) or my iPad (8.3). I even logged off my account on the iMac and logged in as my wife and her Safari pages load painfully slow or not at all.

It's not a router or connection issue because in every case, Chrome works perfectly well. I tried disabling iCloud Drive on IOS devices and disabling Safari iCloud syncing. Nothing works.

What does Safari do behind the scenes when accessing a website that Chrome doesn't? I can't say for sure it's a recent update, but certainly this didn't happen before the most recent IOS and Yosemite updates were applied.

Safari Problems (Slow, Pages won't load, etc)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.