Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB hub issues with 2013 Mac Pro?

Hi

I'm having a LOT of USB hub problems with a 2.7 Ghz 12 core Mac Pro.

Devices are often failing to be recognised at startup. Devices are disappearing once the Mac has started up. For example, yesterday, Pro Tools 11HD threw up an error message to say my iLok wan't recognised and quit. The LED on the iLok was no longer lit.

Pretty much every USB device has intermittently disappeared. Printer, MIDI controller keyboard, Native Instruments Maschine, iLok, eLicenser dongle, USB sticks etc.

I've now tried two different USB hubs and swapped out cables. Both hubs work fine on other Macs. I've reset the PRAM, SMC and made sure the Mac Pro has the latest firmware applied. Devices do seem to wake up when plugged directly into the Mac. I'm wondering if the Mac Pro doesn't play nice with USB hubs?

This is driving me nuts. 😟

Posted on Apr 7, 2015 11:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 12:02 AM

Yes, sonme do not work

New Mac Pro 2013 late version USB 3.0 hub issue during boot

6 replies

Apr 8, 2015 8:34 AM in response to Marsdy

I've tried a Belkin and HooToo hub.... I bought the HooToo one as it was very well reviewed. This morning I booted up and a USB flash drive didn't mount. I unplugged it, then plugged it back in and then it worked.

It's not just the hub though. Twice this morning, Pro Tools 11HD said it couldn't find an iLok, (USB dongle,) authorisation leaving me no option but to quit. The second time it was plugged directly into the Mac rather than the hub and same thing happened. I'm looking at the USB section of system profiler and it doesn't look right. Now it is plugged into the Apple USB keyboard and it is working, at least for now. It's like the Mac is getting confused about what is plugged in were.

@lllaass Yes I've seen that thread.... Problem is... none of the USB hubs mentioned as working are available in the UK. If I buy from the US, the power adapter doesn't seem suitable for the UK. I think the Startech one Smokerz mentions might be available so I'll check that out.

Apr 12, 2015 12:01 AM in response to DonH49

I bought the Startech 7 port USB3 hub. It's made of metal!! I could run over it with my car and it would still work! Impressive.

Good call Smokerz... it seems to have done the trick. No USB failures since setting it up.

I have to say I'm a tad miffed that a £6500 Mac Pro is so fussy about USB hubs. In four years two months of use, I never had a single problem with my 2010 6 core.

USB hub issues with 2013 Mac Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.