Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video playback / Videos stored on iPhone 6 not playing or working - thumbnail / preview is white / grey, and play button does not work

iPhone 6. running the latest iOS 8.2 (as at 8 april 2015). 64gb.

I am not sure when this problem began, but all of my videos (but one) that are saved in my iPhone's "Videos" album (within Photos) will not play, and are displaying a blank white / grey preview thumbnail.. When you click the video, the 'play' button does nothing. You can see the date & time the video was taken, but nothing else. I tried using the iMovie app to try access the videos - and they still appear as "grey / white" and cannot be played.

Here's a preview of how the album view, the video view, and the iMovie view look...

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Many of these videos were saved direct to my Camera roll from my Snapchat app (by downloading my own daily "stories"), and the rest were filmed and stored using the iPhone camera app..

I do recall them working in February 2015, but have no idea what caused them to stop playing and what date..

I have tried resetting the phone and googling for answers with no luck.

Please help!... I really want my videos back 😟

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2, null

Posted on Apr 8, 2015 2:33 AM

15 replies

Aug 2, 2017 12:25 PM in response to little_johnny

I have this same issue. Really hoping for a resolution. These videos are so important! All the videos I have recently taken are all just white thumbnails and the videos display a 00 minutes and 00 seconds display even though they are about 1-4 minutes long, reading 00:00. Whenever I click on the video it tells me that the video format cannot load onto my iphone. So bizarre how there is no remedy yet.

-Jonny

Apr 17, 2015 5:31 PM in response to little_johnny

Further update:

I am trying to import the files to my Macbook Pro (10.10.3) via Photos, and it will not allow me to import them.

I receiving the below error message:

The following files could not be imported (they may be an unrecognized file type or the files may to contain valid data).

Reason: The operation couldn't be completed. (com.apple.ImageCaptureCore error -9912.)

The file types are .mp4 and .mov

User uploaded file

Any ideas or recommendations?

I have done a Hard reset, soft reset, and tried resetting network settings.

I have done a Manual Backup to computer and did a backup to iCloud- but I have not restored the iPhone yet, as I am not sure if the files are being backed up or not?

I also tried using a third party transfer app (AnyTrans) to transfer the files to my computer hard drive, but it would not allow the transfer and kept skipping the videos which won't play back (even though it recognizes them - but won't play them back).

Sep 6, 2015 11:11 PM in response to little_johnny

I have the same issue, frustrating.. first recommends PHOTS to transfer, then this happens, better open it like a drive where we can simply copy paste the photos in drive.

I am using apple since 5 years, never had this problem. after I took iPhone 6 and new photos app, this is creating mess.

any apple person reads this, please resolve this.

Oct 16, 2015 6:02 AM in response to little_johnny

Hi. I have the same problem. I have about 8 videos recorded using iPhone 6 plus camera which are just showing up as white square on camera roll and also photos on MacBook Pro. When I try an import using photos it says "This operation could not be completed. (com.apple.ImageCaptureCore error -9912)" see attached screen shot.

User uploaded file

I have looked at the files using iExplore and it won't import them to Mac from there. Some of the files are over 200mb but in the preview area it says resolution 0x0.

User uploaded file

Are these corrupt or can they be recovered as its obviously recorded something to use that much space. I don't want to delete them with out crying to recover them first as from a family holiday.

Thanks

Video playback / Videos stored on iPhone 6 not playing or working - thumbnail / preview is white / grey, and play button does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.