Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to find serial on iPod Classic with failed hard drive

I purchased a 7th gen 160gb iPod classic in June last year, and the hard drive have started clicking, iPod will load the apple logo, then power off, then load the apple logo until the battery runs out, which made me come to the conclusion that the hard drive failed.

As I am still under the 1 year warranty as well as the 2 years I have to claim consumer law (Australia), I'm going to contact apple care and try get a refund as I can't get a replacement since they stopped manufacturing this device.

I know I'll need a serial number when I contact apple to be able to do this, however this model of iPod doesn't have the serial number on the back, obviously I can't view it on the device as it won't power on, and on iTunes it doesn't seem to register (not 100% if it's the cords I'm using I have tried two different ones), and finally I can't find my receipt anywhere so I can't get the serial number that way.

I'm just wondering if there's any other way can do to get the serial number so I can contact apple and resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance.

iPod classic, Other OS

Posted on Apr 8, 2015 2:34 AM

2 replies

Apr 8, 2015 1:42 PM in response to countinghunnas

countinghunnas wrote:

...I'm going to contact apple care and try get a refund as I can't get a replacement since they stopped manufacturing this device.

You may find that Apple have some in stock for just this situation.

Regardless of that, you should see the serial number on the back casing of your iPod, but in very small lettering. Here's mine, the serial number is just below the 160GB box:

User uploaded file

How to find serial on iPod Classic with failed hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.