Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IBook G4 Problem with boot up after I used Target mode.

I have an old G4 Ibook that was being used without a problem. I decided to check the computer for any type of malware, since its OS was not advanced enough I put the computer into target mode and checked it via my Mac Mini and AVG for the Mac. It did find files that I deleted from the hard drive. The location of the Malware didn't pose any problem to the OS. When I tried to reboot the computer it would not.

I thought that during the boot cycle if I held down cmd and S it would start in safe mode but i was wrong. I then tried alt-cmd and p r all together during boot waited for the second chimes then released them. That was supposed to reboot the computer. That still didn't work.

Can anyone help? I can't give you the full specs as I don't remember them.

Thanks for the assistance.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 8, 2015 6:00 AM

5 replies

Apr 15, 2015 4:11 PM in response to Stiobhard Cassel

So check out this thread:

Tip - installing OSX via Target Disk Mode

When I do this and actually I don't remember ever doing this, I would only attempt it using like to like. I.E. I'd use an identical or nearly identical iBook G4 as the host machine. There is a huge compatibility gulf between the Power Macs ( iBook ) and your current Intel machine(s)

"I have G4 software disks and a hardware test disk." " The software disks won't show up when I put them in. "

What's the state of that installer disk?

If it's scratched (on the plastic side and not on the label (aluminum side)) the scratches can be polished out like so:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/geeks-weigh-in-can-you-fix-a-scratched-cd-with-toot hpaste-nb/

Except I use Meguiar's # 3:

http://www.goferauto.com/memagl316ou.html?ref=lexity&_vs=google&_vm=productsearc h&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmLipBRC59O_EqJ_E0asBEiQATYdNhwp3Y7wURPx-pZzcbxYRQwQUs_y_xohI4Ftb 9WlKuLgaAv6C8P8HAQ

and a power drill with a buffing wheel and a slow speed.

Or I use a external hard drive with a restored image of the installer disk on it.

IBook G4 Problem with boot up after I used Target mode.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.