Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook battery life and sound problems

My Macbook air's battery life is going down very quickly even when I'm not using it and when I'm not downloading anything. A few months ago my battery can last up to 2-3 days. Now, it can't even last 1 day. Not only that, sometimes when i am on YouTube, no sound can be heard even when the volume is on. I also noticed that whenever i surf the web, it cannot even load the page or either it also takes a very very long time for the page to load. There is no virus on my computer as i will scan my macbook once a week using AVG anti-virus program. This, however, has never happened to me for the past 8 months when I'm using my Macbook Air. What can i do ? Im currently living in Australia. Thank You.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 8, 2015 7:39 AM

2 replies

Apr 8, 2015 11:37 AM in response to janexxtan

1. Check the cycle count of the battery against the rated life for your model. The battery may be due for replacement. If the power adapter is connected almost all the time, the battery may need replacing even though the cycle count is not too high.

2. Follow these instructions, or thesefor OS X 10.8 or earlier.

3. In the Energy Saver preference pane, uncheck the box marked

Enable Power Nap while on battery power

if it's shown (it may not be.)

4. You can also try resetting the SMC.

5. Make sure your system is up to date in Software Update.

6. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service center.

Apr 8, 2015 1:43 PM in response to janexxtan

In addition to Linc's suggestions, remove AVG. You do not need anti-virus software, and AVG may be devouring power like a little kid eating candy on Easter morning.

You can also check to see what processes are using the most power by opening the Activity Monitor app (found in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder) and selecting the Energy tab. Click the Energy Impact column header to sort by that column. If the smaller values are sorted at the top of the list, click it again to reverse the sort.

Macbook battery life and sound problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.