Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is iPhoto deleted by the 10.10.3 update ?

Ok, we now have the Photo app, to replace iPhoto.

But does the update actually delete iPhoto from the Mac ?

I have used iPhoto Library Manager from Fact Cat Software to split my pics archives into several iPhoto Library ( one per year basically ).

I do not want to lose easy access to my old pics if iPhoto is removed. (or assume that iPLM will be updated )

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 8, 2015 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2015 10:26 AM

No. But when you go to convert your iPhoto Library over to Photos I would duplicate the library, rename it PHOTOS.iphotolibrary and have Photos convert that one. This way you'll still be able to use iPhoto and you iPhoto Library until you're convinced you want to completely go over to Photos.

User uploaded file

76 replies

Apr 8, 2015 10:11 PM in response to Old Toad

I upgraded my old intel imac to Yosemite from Mavericks and lost all photos up to the last download. I copied the iPhoto library from Time machine back up but even then it did not have any of my slideshows or albums. I lost all metadata. How can I restore my library with all the metadata and organisation keywords slideshows albums etc please?

Apr 8, 2015 10:43 PM in response to Philippe Barthelemy

Hi!

I have just completed the up-date to OS-X 10.10.3 and now have BOTH iPhoto AND the new Photos app. I never used iPhotos as I moved all my photos over from my Windows PC when I did the switch to Mac. iPhotos seemed to pick up some of my photos collection but not all of it. The contents of iPhotos seems to have been migrated to Photos. Photos now contains only part of whats actually stored in my "Pictures" directory.

Personally, I don't want either iPhotos or Photos. I like the idea of managing my photos under Finder and I use the app Acorn to do any photo manipulation I need.

Now to the crux of my post - CAN I DELETE iPHOTOS WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS?

Regards,

Peter

Apr 9, 2015 12:55 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have deleted iPhotos and the Photos app Library (which seemed to contain copies of some of the content of my "Pictures" library. I have recovered a huge amount of space and have all my original pictures.

I'll think about deleting the new Photos app. It does not yet appear in the Mac App Store if for some reason I want it in the future.

Regards,

Peter 😉 - 😉

Apr 9, 2015 1:35 AM in response to Philippe Barthelemy

My iPhoto was killed after installing 10.10.3.

The app has the line through it indicating that it won't launch and when I try it says it needs an upgrade. It is already v9.6. It offers to search the App store butt says the item is currently not available on the Australian App Store...

...however if I right-click on iPhoto and show package contents, go in to Contents, and in to the MacOS folder and double click the iPhoto app from there... it launches just fine!

Hmmm. What are you playing at Apple? Are you trying to force us to use Photos but covering your *** just in case?

For now I have placed an alias to that hidden file in my Applications folder so I still have my iPhoto.

Apr 9, 2015 5:15 AM in response to Yer_Man

Be that as it may, I download all app updates weekly on each of my 4 macs, plus my wife's as well. Moreover one of my machines is always running the latest developer versions of Yosemite, and Xcode and one of my iOS devices always sports the latest version of its own O/S because I am a registered developer. At no stage did any of my Macs update its copy of iPhoto to 9.6.1. I checked them all - every machine was up to date with all apps including third party apps except for iPhoto.

The solution however was quite straightforward. I simply deleted 9.6 and went to the purchases tab in the App Store and downloaded a fresh copy straight to 9.6.1. Being as clued up as you are I am surprised you didn't suggest that potential solution yourself. 😝

Is iPhoto deleted by the 10.10.3 update ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.