Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Export Faces from Photos (Using iCloud Photo Library)

Hello i'm using Faces in the new photos beta on Yosemite 10.10.3. Is it possible to export the faces from one mac in photos to the other mac? Because syncing isn't supported so far, i'd hear.

Greets hagenuck1

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 8, 2015 9:30 AM

13 replies

Apr 8, 2015 10:20 AM in response to Hagenuck1

That would have to be done thru the iCloud Photo Library which can be accessed from all devices signed in to the same Apple ID. There's no option to export out of Photos (just dragging the thumbnails from the Photo window to the desktop to get the image file) so it would not have the faces included). The faces info is kept in the database files.

User uploaded file

Apr 8, 2015 10:37 AM in response to Hagenuck1

Because syncing isn't supported so far, i'd hear.

Where did you hear that?

The new Photos is all about syncing your Photos library across all your devices. You need an iCloud account and enough free iCloud Storage to hold the library you want to sync.

If your iPhoto Library is larger than your iCloud Storage can hold, copy it and prune the copy, before you open it in Photos.

You can have several Photos libraries, one main system library to sync with iCloud, and another that you will not sync.

Faces do sync well across devices, but terribly slow right now, with everyone trying to get started with iCloud Photo Library.

See: iCloud Photo Library beta FAQ

Apr 8, 2015 10:48 AM in response to Hagenuck1

Hello léonie: I have a 200 GB Subscription and about 42GB of pictures and Videos in my iCloud Photo Library. But Faces do not sync with a second Macbook (logged in with the same account) and not with my iphone, also with the same account. Where did you read, that Faces are synced between the devices with the photo library? There is no point under Albums on the iphone called "Faces" ("Gesichter" in German) and the new Macbook doesn't show me any faces excepting the new ones found by this Mac.

Apr 9, 2015 2:22 AM in response to Hagenuck1

I just discovered Apple note which says that Faces are note synced across Macs.

That is a bit confusing as smart albums are synced, and smart albums can contain face-related conditions.

In any case, I was extremely disappointed to read this and it actually stopped my plan to buy storage and move to iCloud Photo Library as I invested infinite time in tagging faces in my very large library.

"

iCloud Photo Library allows you to access your photos and videos on multiple Mac computers, as well as your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and iCloud.com. Just sign in to iCloud with the same Apple ID on all your devices. You can turn on iCloud Photo Library in Photos > Preferences, or from the iCloud pane in System Preferences.

After you sign in, these items appear in the Photos app on all of your Macs:

• All original photos and videos
  • All folders and albums
  • Smart Albums
  • Keywords
  • Searchable keywords based on Faces tiles
  • Key photo selections

These items are available only on the Mac where you created them:

• Books, cards, and calendars
  • Slideshows
  • Keyword shortcuts
  • Unused keywords
  • Last imported album (this album contains photos you most recently imported on a specific Mac)
  • Faces tiles and Faces data

"

Apr 22, 2015 12:38 AM in response to Hagenuck1

Hello again.

My iPhone and a second Mac are now syncing! At least by search for the faces by keywords. On my iPhone this wasn't possible at the begining, i'm thinking this was a bug. I deactivated all photo relating syncfunctions and deleted the rested photos on the iphone, restarted it and activated iCloud photo library again. When the iPhone was ready downloading the thumbnails I was able to search by faces.

Export Faces from Photos (Using iCloud Photo Library)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.