Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The end of an era

Looks official, Aperture is no more

User uploaded file

😟

Posted on Apr 8, 2015 10:39 AM

25 replies

Apr 8, 2015 5:54 PM in response to GeoCo

GeoCo wrote:

Looks official, Aperture is no more

And the new Photos app is pretty much useless except as a photo manager. The default editing adjustments are limited and you have to "add" any additional adjustments for each photo separately from what I can tell. So if I want to adjust white balance on 100 photos that all have the same color cast I have to click on on a photo, click on Edit, add the white balance adjustment, adjust it, click Done, then repeat the exact same thing for the next 99 photos? What fun. Also appears there is no hierarchy to keywords. Hopefully you can add keywords to photos in batches, not one at a time. From what I can tell, the file types and file names and keywords are hidden from view, only available if you "get info" on a specific photo. I haven't been able to get it to display anything but the "title" below the photo (which defaults to "untitled" for all photos for which you have not given a title).

Needless to say I feel pretty let down by this. I was hoping Photos would at a minimum be somewhere between iPhoto and Aperture but it feels like it is just iPhoto with a different name and maybe not even as good. There is no migration path from the now abandoned Aperture to anything equivalent, without losing all previous adjustments (unless you lock them in). I am now wishing I had chosen Adobe Lightroom many years ago versus going with Apple.

Apr 8, 2015 6:39 PM in response to Badunit

And the new Photos app is pretty much useless except as a photo manager. The default editing adjustments are limited and you have to "add" any additional adjustments for each photo separately from what I can tell. So if I want to adjust white balance on 100 photos that all have the same color cast I have to click on on a photo, click on Edit, add the white balance adjustment, adjust it, click Done, then repeat the exact same thing for the next 99 photos? What fun. Also appears there is no hierarchy to keywords.

At least that is a bit easier. You can copy and paste adjustments between photos - only the edit panel does not allow to select more than one photo for pasting..

Hopefully you can add keywords to photos in batches, not one at a time.

You can select several photos at once, open the Info panel and add the keywords to all of them.

But not titles or captions - all have to be done one at time.

Apr 9, 2015 6:37 AM in response to davida

I just "down-graded" my MacBook Pro and MacPro to Yosemite 10.10.3 so I could install PHOTOS ... the worst, most simplistic, useless piece of SOFT-ware I have ever seen. But at least I can migrate my 17 TB Aperture library to iCloud at a cost of ~$200/TB/year so I can see all of my 250,000 photos at one time on my 3" iPhone screen ... Great! I'd share a few more impressions, but have to go to Walmart so I can trade in my Nikon D4 and D800E for a Fisher-Price camera so my photos will be compatible with Apple's advanced photo app.

Apr 9, 2015 8:59 AM in response to GeoCo

Photos is not a digital photo asset manager. It is a digital photo device manager (Macs, iDevices and Apple TVs) and photo sharing program. Those functions in Aperture were unreliable. In addition you probably do not want to have all of your photos available to all devices and for sharing. So use Photos for what it will be good at. If you have used Aperture for photo asset management - I fear you need to consider a switch. I switched from Extensis Portfolio to Aperture those not so many years ago - and I will plan a switch to Lightroom (probably) when I make a hardware upgrade. In the meantime, I can 'lockdown' this system and continue to use Aperture for quite some time. I actually have 2 other systems that are in that status - a G5 iMac for running classic and an old PowerMac G3 with a SCSI port for my slide scanner.

I will start using Photos soon for syncing favorites to my iDevices. I will sync the iDevice images to Photos as well and then import the very few quality images off of them into the Aperture (or whatever I choose to use in the future).

Apr 9, 2015 9:09 PM in response to GeoCo

Photos is just consumer oriented crap. There are practically no RAW adjustments and no curves support. I am really disappointed in the direction Apple is taking. They are removing features in order to provide the same, limited functionality across desktops and IOS devices. Unfortunately, there aren't as many professionals as there are iPhone users, and the only thing that matters to Apple is the bottom line.

Having used Apple hardware and software since 1994, it's very sad to see them go down this road.

Apr 10, 2015 9:18 AM in response to GeoCo

After playing a bit with Photos, I don't dislike it; BUT, it isn't Aperture, that's for sure ! So I won't be converting my 6 T of RAW files and will continue to use Aperture until later in the game (and converting 6T will probably take one full week). What I don't understand is why Apple didn't spin off the Aperture team and offer them to run their own company - or have some of them left Apple and are working on plug ins for Photos ? I sure hope so.

What I don't like:

- Can't move the Inspector to the right hand side of my screen

- No brushes to talk about

- Inability to organize my Projects, Folders, Albums and Smart Albums the way I want

- Not enough Metadata

- Can't use my Plug Ins (Noise Ninja, DxO Perspective, Photoshop)

- The white back ground screen

- No Stacks

- No stars, no color codes (I actually use them extensively, from yellow for unprossessed to purple for ready to print)

And I've only used Photos for 15 minutes... What about you ?

Apr 10, 2015 1:19 PM in response to davida

I have not downloaded the new Yosemite but have decided I will not be using Photos from what I have seen of it on my Ipad. I would think even though they are not supporting it we can still use the copies that we have. I am still using IDVD after all the years so hope I will still be able to use if for as long as I need to.

Apr 10, 2015 7:02 PM in response to GeoCo

Photos is the most useless program ever to come out of Apple. One would think that Apple would have learned from the Final Cut Pro Debacle. But apparently they have not. Apple computers are the darling of the creative community. Aperture is a the best program for any professional photographer to do light but necessary editing plus very powerful file management. Apple has really screwed up this time. It is OK to replace iPhoto (Which is far better than Photos) with a new program, but why get rid of Aperture? If I'm going to use Photoshop and Lightroom, why would I not use a much cheaper PC to accomplish my tasks. I really hope enough people complain to Apple and Apple goes back to the drawing board and releases Aperture 4.0. I will continue to use Aperture as long as I can. I just hope that future Apple Raw Updates will support Aperture 3.0. On other thing. I will gladly pay $79.95 For Aperture 4.0. No questions asked.

Apr 10, 2015 7:56 PM in response to GeoCo

So there have to be some smart people out there who can figure out a flow that works (and possibly profit all of this).

The key features I want:

1. Import both my iphone photos and Canon photos into one stream.

2. Be able to do sophisticated edits (Aperture) on some of my photos, and save them somewhere.

3. Be able to view my libraries on other devices.

I currently use Aperture to view/edit everything, but have been exporting to Flickr for viewing on other devices.

Should I keep doing this?

I'm looking for a way to:

1. Not pay apple more money.

2. View images on other devices and share on whatever platform I want.

3. Edit some images with dodging/burning etc.

Is there a better workflow? Could I store my Aperture library in Dropbox and have it sync between all devices? Any other ideas?

The end of an era

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.