Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change date of photo in Photos For Mac?

How do I change date of photos I scanned in, to the actual date of photo taken in the new Photos for Mac? Rob

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Apr 8, 2015 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2015 1:44 PM

Or

• select a photo
  • use the "Image" menu and the entry "Adjust Date And Time"
  • User uploaded file
22 replies

Jun 9, 2016 2:15 AM in response to Rob Weinberg

OK, I have a weird question on the same topic.

I took a trip across the Ocean. I have a GPS Adaptor attached to my camera and it updates the time zones automatically. I was unaware of this and I manually adjusted my camera clock. To farther complicate the problem the first couple of pictures that I took were inside our hotel and I did not receive GPS Signal. That said, my camera thought I was shooting at the correct time but in the wrong time zone. I soon went outside and everything corrected itself.

So, I added GPS information for those few pictures that weren't GEO-Tagged. Great. My problem is that when I import them into Photos for Mac, while they show the correct location when I right click and select Get Info, they show the wrong time zone when I go under Image --> Adjust Date and Time.

I shoot in Raw and I have two copies of each of my pictures, a CR2 File that is my original, and a JPEG that is my final version for presentation. I want to change the timezone of my CR2 File but you can not export to CR2 in the Photos App.

I have an EXIF Editor app and I can see the GPS Information but there is no location of a timezone. I did some research and apparently Timezone Information, or a UTC Offset is not standard EXIF data.

My question is: 1. Where is the Photos App getting the timezone information from? Why is the timezone different than the GPS Location?

2. Has anyone figured out a way to export a RAW file as a modified RAW File? Note that I am only modifying metadata and not the image itself.

Jun 9, 2016 4:33 AM in response to phkc070408

My question is: 1. Where is the Photos App getting the timezone information from? Why is the timezone different than the GPS Location?

As far as I can tell from my imports to Photos, Photos is always using the timezone of the current system time System preference settings on your Mac at the time of the Import.

So, if you are shooting photos in China and import them when your are back at home, Photos will use the timezone of your home town.

Why is the timezone different than the GPS Location?

It would be inconvenient if it were. The time zone setting in the camera are not necessarily the same as the timezone of the location where you were shooting the photos. A few years ago, when I was traveling in Yukon and Alaska I closed the border between the two states several times and I never changed the timezone in the camera, because it was not always possible to download the pictures from the card immediately after crossing the border. and I would not want to have to import photos taken with different timezone settings in the same import session.It can be difficult to recognize the first photo with a different timezone after importing.

Aperture had a great tool. when Importing I could specify a "Camera Time" and an "Actual time". while using Aperture I never touched the Camera Time. t was always UTC for all cameras. This way always knew exactly the timezone used when taking the photos and did not have to remember when and where I adjusted the time in which camera.

Jun 9, 2016 5:29 AM in response to phkc070408

The timezone is not necessarily stored in the image files.

See this list of all EXIF tags:

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/TagNames/EXIF.html

0x8829InterlaceN-
0x882aTimeZoneOffsetint16s[n]ExifIFD(1 or 2 values: 1. The time zone offset of DateTimeOriginal from GMT in hours, 2. If present, the time zone offset of ModifyDate)

Photos, Aperture, iPhoto are storing the timezone they are using for an image version in the version in the Photos library. The version is just a set of database entires with the metadata tags and the adjustments to render the image. It is not an image file.

Jun 9, 2016 9:52 AM in response to phkc070408

I have only used Aperture to correct timezones. It can write the metadata to the originals. But Photos made a mess of the corrected timezones and migrated them incorrectly.

The only tool I know that can write any EXIF tag if it is possible at all is ExifTool by Phil Harvey. You use it from the terminal.

See: http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

How do I change date of photo in Photos For Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.